Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Part search

ProjectADHD · 2025-02-06 17:00

Hello, I have a 1937 International Harvester backhoe loader 3400 A. It is currently in the shop getting some of the Hydraulics worked on. As they were taking apart, one of the leaking cylinders, (the shop calls it a Glenn nut but my parts manual calls it a front head retaining ring part number 381 089 R1.) got damaged and now they’re saying they will have to make a new one which is gonna cost a lot of money. I am looking for help finding the part or info on the backhoe that was apparently manufactured by a different factory and added to the international tractor.

Replies5
  1. #1edgephoto2025-02-06 23:50

    It is a Gland nut, not a Glenn nut. Most likely you will have to have one made.

  2. #2ProjectADHD2025-02-07 17:24

    Thanks for pulling out the typo

  3. #3Welder Dave2025-02-08 03:45

    Did the shop damage the gland nut? If so they should paying the bulk of replacing it. If the nut was already damaged then you're on the hook.

  4. #4JimInOz2025-02-08 04:02

    Try FP SMITH in California, or BROWN IH in Canada. Otherwise,the guys on REDPOWER FORUMS might help.

  5. #5crane operator2025-02-08 08:35

    Doesn't work like that at any hyd. shop I know. If I bring them a rusty old cylinder, and it doesn't come apart pretty, and they ruin something. I've ruined all kinds of stuff trying to get it apart. I perfectly expect to pay them to build the new parts. Its not their fault I brought them a rusted together gland. They don't have xray vision.