Hello everyone, I have a series2 case 580sm+ pilot controls 4x4 extend a hoe, 3500ish hours. the master cylinders have been leaking awhile and I finally got around to replacing them. Pretty straight forward, after reassembly they worked fine for an hour or so. I did not bleed them, they began working normally almost immediately. Then as I worked the peddle became stiffer and stiffer until they were dragging considerably, I could not move the peddle at all. I did not notice right away as I was digging not driving. I left the machine in the field over night. the next morning they felt normal. But again they started to stiffen as I dug. I stopped before they got too stiff and went over line placemat and fluid levels, all look correct and full. No scary noises from diff all works very smooth for and hour or so then they slowly stiffen and begin to drag. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
With the symptoms you describe, I’ve seen it happen on rare occasions where the rubber brake lines deteriorate on the inside, looking absolutely normal on the outside They will allow the fluid to pass one way and then act like a check valve, holding the pressure. It will usually release over time, since the seal on the inside isn’t perfect. You can usually find it by following the path and cracking lines at any joints to see if there’s any pressure. Did you move any of the old rubber brake lines? Going a step further and replacing the rubber lines might be in order.
I did not move any of the rubber lines, I will check them today. Thank you for your response.
Welcome to HEF @jeffs580sm I would think you have not adjusted pedal free travel correctly. If there is no free travel, the oil from the brake pistons cannot return to the reservior.
I’ll check that as well. I thought they had the correct play, when I first start the machine. As I operate they become stiff. But your answer makes sense I’ll double check when I get out there today. Thank you.
I released pressure and reset the piston clearance. That was the issue. Thank you for your input she ran good all day.