Hi, we're getting ready to weld a pipe on the edge of my backhoe and was wondering if I should be disconnecting the battery to avoid any problems. Thanks in advance
Depends on what runs the backhoe. My Case 580 SE has a fuel shut off solenoid, nothing to ruin. That and my skid steer which is in the same boat, are the only machines I will weld on, without disconnecting the batteries. I do keep the ground close, generally to whatever section, I'm welding. If you’re welding a pipe on the cutting edge, make sure you pre heat the edge or the welds will just crack right off the cutting edge. If you’re not sure or worried, only takes 5 minutes to disconnect.
^^What he said, Just disconnect battery, Why take a chance of frying something?
Ya, I ended up removing the battery connections to be safe. Cheers
Hi My local Cat service tech suggested I remove the neg lead anytime I need to weld on my '08 Cat 420e. I want to share this information because i wondered the same thing.
Great info bud, thanks for sharing. Cheers
I suppose I forgot to add: I have made several weld repairs on my hoe(while using previosly mentioned precaution) w/o any issues. seasons greetings everybody.
Back at ya!
It only takes one time to have something go bad. If the battery is easily accessible just disconnect the negative cable.