Anyone have a solution for a direct tachometer replacement for a Case 580B? I have a broken cable and would like to replace it complete. I have looked online but don't see anything available. The inside core measured 51 inches in total. Thank you in advance!
Try these guys. https://mrspeedometer.com/products/...CDtshAFc6un0b3ByHUihJRfPu-ZlggRhIJPqM0UbT1glw I can't think of the other supplier we used. Usually thay can make a complete cable or possibly supply you with the flexible inner cable cut to length.
I converted to a digital tachometer, didn't know about mrspeedometer
Do you have any info on a digital tachometer? I purchased one off EBay but i can't get it to work.
I used a speedo sensor, it threads in the spot of the original cable mount on engine. Intellitronix Corp S9013 Intellitronix Speedometer Sending Units | Summit Racing Free Shipping - Intellitronix Speedometer Sending Units with qualifying orders of $125. Shop Sensors and Sending Units at Summit Racing. www.summitracing.com With a faria marine gage Faria Chesapeake Black 4" Tachometer - 4000 RPM (Diesel) [33742] Chesapeake Black 4" Tachometer - 4000 RPM (Diesel) (Mechanical Takeoff & Var Ratio Alt)Perimeter-lighted Black dial with stylish Blue and White graphics, polished stainless steel bezel, contoured white pointer and domed glass lens.Electronic tachometers work by counting pulses generated by the... marinegaugestore.com The sensor can work with any gage that can count pulses. You could also use the alternator to run a tach that's common for diesels.
So i'm pretty sure the tachometer gear is broken not sure this would work but I do like this idea
Oh the gear on the camshaft?
Yeah, Unfortunately when I replaced the cable I realized with any resistance it free spins.
Ah. I'd look into using the alternator. Its just a wire attached to one field before the diode bridge. Alternator tachometer gages use the frequency to read engine rpm. It takes a bit to set up, using a photo tach to get it set is helpful.
That is what i am in the process of trying to figure out. I purchased one off Ebay but the instructions are horrible and the seller isn't much help from China..lol. I'm looking into the AC Delco 10SI version for massey ferguson but I'm in the early stages..
Any alternator can be used, even your stock one. No need to buy a new alternator. What did you buy?
The tachometer drive can be replaced from the outside the engine, you'll need to make a puller. The manual has prints to make one. Or it's possible the camshaft was replaced with one that doesn't have the gear on it.
I been sidetracked with a couple other projects this week but i plan on looking at it again this weekend. I'll keep posted when i pull the gear ...if i pull the gear...lol
Just happened to read it since I'm getting ready for rebuild.
You rebuilding your engine?
Yeah