Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 590 Turbo Transmission Fluid Level

Sunnyflorida ยท 2013-03-29 14:51

I have a mid 90s Case 590 Turbo backhoe I use from time to time on my tree farm. I fired it up last weekend for a few minutes, shut it down, and could not remember if I checked the level after changing the filter a few weeks ago. So I checked and it was very low just a small tip on the dipstick. Got some hydro today and before I fired it up (sitting over a week) I saw that the level on the dipstick was very high - about an inch or more above the 'full' level. I double and triple checked. I then fired it up and if there is any hydro on the dipstick it is at the very tip. What the heck is going on? Could there be some air in it? Should I add a bit until I see some indication on the dip stick?

Replies2
  1. #1Bob/Ont2013-03-29 15:21

    When you start the engine the oil fills the system and goes down on the stick. Find out if you fill to the stick stopped or running. Later Bob

  2. #2rjharms2013-03-30 13:51

    The owners manual will say to check it with engine running and the transmission warm. So to start I fill it an inch below full with the engine running and then check it when warm adding a bit more if needed to bring to the full mark.