I just bought a used case 590sl backhoe. It's a 1999 and is badly rusted. The hood is barely hanging on and the engine side panels are gone. It was used to load salt trucks which explains it. Finding used hood and side panels is one project I need help with if anyone has a source. But the issue at hand is that it suddenly isn't starting. I went to see the machine for the first time just a few days ago and it started up fine, ran nice and the mechanicals all seemed to be in order. Shut it off and started it up again no problem. I got it delivered the next day. The driver said "by the way they had trouble starting it when I loaded it on the trailer. The 4WD switch was on. It won't start with the 4WD switch is on. make sure you have it off to start". It was started and shut off a several times that day as I was trying it out. As it got late in the day I switched some lights on. When I shut the machine down for the day and hit the 4wd switch off and on along with all the light switches to make sure everything was off. Next day the machine won't start. The batteries are good but I jumpered it just to make sure. Nothing. The 4Wd switch shouldn't have anything to do with it starting as long as it is in neutral, which it is. Switch on or switch off ti still won't turn over. The guy that sold it swears that when it wouldn't start all he had to do was flick the $wd switch off. Anybody have any ideas?
Suddenly “won’t start” is a hellofa lot different than “won’t turn over”.. If it won’t turn over, just use a jump box at the starter.. BUT MAKE REAL SURE it’s in neutral..
Use a remote start button at the starter to see if it could be starter or wiring or possible key switch.
Do the dash lights stay on when you lose the ability to start it ? Do the lights stay on when it is not turning over?
Based on your description of the condition of the machine. I would take the plastic cover off over the fuse block (right rear wheel well) and see what you have going on. My guess is that it is very corroded. I also have a 590SL and 4WD on or off makes no difference when it comes to starting. Get a service manual on Ebay for $30, it will have all the wiring schematics and will greatly help you. As far as the hood and side panels, find a salvage yard for heavy equipment. A 580 and 590 use the same sheet metal, so there should be an abundance of machines out there, but you may have to have them shipped to you.
The problem turned out to be the fuel shut off solenoid wire to the injection pump. The pump that's on there ( bosch 903) must not be original because it doesn't have a shut off solenoid or at least there's no terminal for the wires. There must have been a bypass wired to one of the light switches on the dash panel. When I turn on the light switch the ignition switch works and the machine starts right up. 20 yr old pre owned machine- you never know what to expect. As far as the sheet metal... still no luck. I've searched salvage yards and called at least 16 from Canada to Florida to Michigan to Texas to California. My machine is a 590 super L Series 2. According the the local case dealer it has a longer frame and body than most of the 580 supers and 590's. If anybody has any leads I'd love to hear about them. And i'd be glad to pay shipping charges. I'm going to start a new thread and put it out there looking for used hood and engine side panels.
It is # 30 at the top !
That's interesting on the 590 sheet metal being different than the 580. I thought they used the same engine so just assumed the sheet metal was the same. Everything else on the 590SL is noticeable bigger than a 580L or SL. There is a salvage yard that does mostly Case just outside of Tulsa,Ok. Hagan Tractor Parts - Phone :918-251-1851 Toll Free:800-365-0602
Go to machinery trader click on dismantled machines type in your machine it showed several
ESI in Ohio 740-439-5512. We have bought Case salvage parts from them in the past
.