Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 60xt not charging

jkross636 · 2024-07-23 20:51

I bought a Case 60xt a couple months ago still really pissed at the dealer for selling me a broken machine but we have all been there. The latest issue is it isn’t charging. I know the battery will need replaced but I assumed since it wasn’t charging I needed to replace the alternator so I did that today. Still not reading any more than 11.2 volts when running. I know I have a crap battery in there but shouldn’t it still be pushing 14 volts? Any help is appreciated thanks guys! I know KSSS knows everything about these Case machines.

Replies5
  1. #1ozarkag2024-07-23 22:20

    Yup, setpoint is 14.2 . Check voltage at battery B+ terminal, should be same as battery obviously. Also check for ignition voltage at D+, with key on. Need power there to "excite" the alternator. Lastly, loose belt will do it too. . .

  2. #2alrman2024-07-23 23:10

    There is a resistor block near the fuse panel - this supplies power to the alternator field terminal. Check to see if it is getting 12V to it. If not, check & recheck fuses & relay operation to be certain something there is not sending power to the resistor.

  3. #3jkross6362024-07-25 12:05
  4. #4jkross6362024-07-25 12:06

    This is the back of the old alternator which one of these is the exciter? I’m not getting power to any except big wire.

  5. #5ozarkag2024-07-25 18:51

    D marked smaller bolt at 10 o'clock. Should have 12 voltage with key on.