Hi everyone, I have a 1969 Case 680 CK Series B. Its been a great machine for the past 18 years and it has done quite a bit of work on my property. I noticed last year that there is, in my opinion, quite a bit of play in the output yoke stub shaft at the rear of the power shuttle transmission. The yoke connects to a ujoint that, in turn, connects to the manual transmission. I am guessing that the output bearing is worn thus causing the play. My question is: to replace the bearing, will I have to remove the shuttle and or 4 speed transmission? Or can I get the yoke and bearing out after removing the universal joint. The joint itself appears to be tight with no play. The thought of removing the shuttle or transmission does not excite me. Thank you for your help! John
Is it clunking or leaking, if not don't worry. IMO. It's not for commercial use just your property machine, correct?
Thanks for the reply. No, not clunking or leaking yet but I know it will fail at some point. While not for commercial use, I do use it to work on our shared camproad which is about two miles long. Just don't want it to fail out in the woods. I'd rather fix it in the dooryard or dump it.
Serial number ?? I have never seen a 680CK series B with a drive shaft connected to the transmission. I thought that the 680CK series C were the first 680’s that had a driveshaft. The wobble from the worn bearing is detrimental to the transmission gears. Remove the bolts from both “U” joints and then remove the 4 speed transmission. The driveshaft has to be rotated to get the bolts in position to pull them out. Removing the gearshift lever makes it a lot easier to remove the transmission. Lift the dust cover and drive retaining pin out.
Thanks, Tinkerer. Serial# 9102338 Here is an image of my 680. The loose bearing is at the rear of the shuttle and the wobble is in the stub shaft. So, you're saying that I cannot just remove the ujoint and stub shaft but that the transmission or shuttle has to come out to change the bearing? Thanks again.
Thanks for posting the serial number and image. The yoke is the output shaft of the shuttle. It may have snap ring on the inside end of it to hold it in position. You could try and remove if there is enough room after you remove the “U” joints. If it doe’s come out ,the countershaft gear may drop out of position. If that happens the shuttle prolly has to come out for a teardown. At least the bearing is still available from cnh.
Hey thanks, it looks like the bearing is held in place with the retainer plate bolted to outside of the housing but I didn't even think that the counter shaft could drop. Good to know.