been working on a case 680 E backhoe pulled transmission to fix shuttle. Guy i brought it from says he never had it apart only used it for few things 100 hours over 15 years. Any way he said it would pop out of 2nd gear when coasting down a hill. ? (his whole house is a big hill) i never had it happened to me only used 2nd a few times use a lot of 1st and 3nd gears . The guy before him rebuild the engine he says might be true i can tell someone has been the engine and trans shuttle before. Trans was pressure washed and sitting on my shop table drained and pulled side cover to look at gears looked great. figured it's out might at well give it a good look pulled top off. inside looks great other then nasty fluid gunk/ little rust and a little wear on forks? also the very front input shaft/bearing/inside gear closest to front i can pull it out 3/8 of a inch looking for any input ideas ?
Make sure when you have the stick pulled into 2nd that its going in all the way. I had a similar issue with a 580, the boot at the floor was deformed to the point that when you pulled the stick backwards it wadded up and kept it from going into gear fully. Also make sure the stick isn't bent to the point that its hitting the side of the hole in the floor...……..I have seen a few bent ones also. If it is still doing it then its an issue inside the transmission.
The 3/8 inch movement outward is normal. When the transmission is bolted to the adapter plate it cannot move out. If the gear shift lever is going back the same distance in both 2nd and 4th gear, that would indicate that you are getting full travel with the forks. If the forks are in fact fully engaging 2nd gear it is quite likely that there is a problem with a snap ring on the mainshaft. The snap ring could be broken or it could have slipped out of it's groove. Sadly, the only way to determine that, is a full tear-down of the transmission. Number 18 in the drawing is the one I had to repair for the very same symptoms you are describing. Another possibility is a synchronizer problem. Do you have a service manual for your machine ?
no i don't have the service manual wasn't planning to do this much work to it. ill put the top case on the transmission and check for full travel. im wondering if the shifter was just bumping it out of second gear cause the mount were lose causing the trans to lean back a little
I hope the loose mounts are the problem. Are you referring to the bolts that screw into the adapter plate ? The ones that go into the rear shuttle to frame brackets ? They are an sob to keep permanently tight when they have been loose very long.
Yea the ones on the shuttle that are the L bracket they were pretty loose. I’m not the biggest fan of working on transmissions lm not sure if I’m going to dig deeper. I might but the gears and brass sycos looks almost new other day then little pitting from water in oil
2nd gear popping out of gear will only get worse and there is a chance a couple of teeth could be damaged when it happens. The transmission isn't that difficult to dismantle. I can scan the pages service manual pages and email them to you.
In the pic Tinkerer posted there's a rod the shift fork goes on. I don't know squat about Case trans but I'd look for a detent ball and spring that fits into a notch in that rod. Jag XKEs used to pop out on decel in 2nd (I think) new spring & ball would fix it. Joe H
ok if you can email me the pages ill give it a shot. ive also thinking of replacing the 1/2 shift fork
I replied to your PM.
Ok I don’t see it yet in pm but figure if it’s a snap ring might as well fix it
I replied to your email address you provided.
we had same problem, eventually found fork was not traveling far enough. we shifted fork on selector shaft and ground new notch for detent , has not jumped out for the last 3 yrs. manufacturing boo boo by case I think
Email didn’t got though. How did you figure out the shifter fork wasn’t traveling enough ?
lifted top of box just enough to see what was going on , bit awkward was on a case 580b backhoe/ loader
I sent two emails. For some reason they didn't get delivered. Maybe a spam filter is deleting them in your email client. Check your Private Messages. I left a new message just now.
I like to update threads . Well I almost finished my case 680 but it got wiped out in a flood a big one took the house shop and all fences and tractors. I might try and finish the 680e but it now way way off to updates. I have a lot of other things to fix first now
Good Grief BigRich ! I'm so sorry to read about your disaster. Good luck on your recovery. Post back on your progress and eventually we can get back to your 680.
Thank you. I found most of shuttle parts as it was apart in my shop on the work bench. It’s been a rough year . It’s one of those make it or break times so went all in and now have a volvo ec210 to get some work done