Just bought this 1979 unit. Noticed that fluid from the power shuttle (TCH fluid) is migrating into the transmission (75-90 gear lube). Question is--how hard is it to fix the seal? Does the transmission and torque converter have to come out? Is the seal internal or external on the torque converter or on the transmission? What are the implications to just adjust the fluid levels and keep using it?
I just recently overhauled the four speed transmission in my 680C. The drive line is identicle to the 680G. The only way I could easily remove the universal joint bolts was to raise the rear of the machine with the outriggers and then rotate the driveline . I found that someone had previously installed a couple of bolts that were too short because they could not get the original ones back in. Next remove the four speed transmission. Drain the shuttle assembly oil and be sure to clean the screen that is located in the bottom of the case. Now you have to safely support the shuttle assembly. There is an adapter plate between the shuttle assembly and four speed transmission that has to come out. Four 5/8" bolts (two on each side) hold it to the angle iron mounting brackets. After the adapter plate is removed you will be able to see the shuttle assembly output shaft hole. Although I have not replaced the rear seal in mine I am confidant that you can remove and replace the rear seal now. If I am wrong and you cannot get access to it I would say the entire shuttle will have to come out. I myself would not run the machine under heavy load conditions the 80/90W gear oil diluted. Also I would think that once the oil level is the same in both the shuttle and transmission it will migrate back and forth which would mean a certain amount of 80/90W will get into the shuttle assembly.
can you help me with some 680G questions? Thanks, greg
Greg, Post your questions I am sure someone can help you.
thanks I'm brand new here so am having problems starting a new post. I tagged it onto someone else's but am continuing to work on figuring this out. Thanks for the help. Greg