I have completed the simple checks with voltmeter recommended in the manual. I still have a fault code 4533. Is there a test device to check the joystick while removed from the machine. The machine is a couple of miles down a ATV trail so access is limited. I suspect there are more checks that I can perform but I don't have the instructions for those test. We are currently experiencing a hurricane so it will definitely be next week sometime before I can get back to the machine. However, I removed the joystick when I was at the machine last. I was hoping I could take it to the dealer for testing. The machine was operated for a couple of days prior to having the fault code. The machine was acting like it had fuel problems so it was parked while I purchased a new fuel filter.2 days later I replace the fuel filter. I did find some water in the in-line filter. After changing the filter the machine started and runs fine. the blade moves fine. The transmission fault alarm is on and won't clear. Can someone provide more thourogh test procedure. Thanks Leo Martin
Is there any other fault codes active? 4533 joystick fault HeavyEquipmentForums The dealer doesn't have any way to test the joystick, other than putting into another unit. Make sure you have power and ground to the joystick, pin 1, 5 power, 2 ground. Check with test light to load the circuit. You should read 120ohms at pin 3 to 4 at the joystick connector, machine harness (check with the key off) joystick should have 37 kila ohms at pin 3 to 4, joystick side. If you are a bit technical, you can build a cable to connect to the machine. HeavyEquipmentForums I'm assuming that you have checked all your fuses? Please make sure to remove them when checking, as sometimes they can have corrosion on them. The series 2 machines also had fuse boxes melt sometimes. I have also seen wiring rub behind the instrument cluster (dash), and wiring rub for the left joystick.
Gary, I found several old post regarding this issue. I printed copies and attempted as many of the test I was able to complete. I also unmounted the fuse and relay blocks to clean and inspect the rear of the blocks. I finally opened the joystick can to check the general conditions inside the can. The joystick internals we very clean. No obvious problems inside. I made voltage checks while I had it open. All were consistent with what I read in previous threads. I inspected the cables from the joystick, the dashboard, the fuse blocks and the relays. I have been unable to find any wiring issues. Is there a list of conditions that will cause the 4533 fault code that I could use to more closely target my research. I don’t want to list all of the voltage checks completed but would say that every test made was within reason close to what was expected. The only test I don’t remember making was to check for the 37 kohms at the joy stick. The machine has been working fine for days then parked a couple of days waiting on the fuel filter change. After the filter was changed it hasn’t moved since. There were two of us that spent a couple of hours making visual inspections of the wiring with the thought that a rat had possibly eaten a wire. We have found no evidence of that. Just in case you need it the serial number is CAL003335. Case 750K Series II wide track. Thanks for your help in providing those previous check list which I was able to use this weekend.
If all of your voltage and resistance measurements are correct, then you likely have a faulty joystick. Your local electronics repair shop may be able to repair the joystick. Others have posted with some success. If you are still uncertain the joystick is the issue, I would recommend you build a diagnostic cable, (as mentioned in my last post) or have a case or new holland dealer connect to the machine. If available, any Case 650k, 750k, 850k, series 1,2 or 3, Or 650L, 750L, 850L can work to test the joystick.
I have uploaded a section from the service manual regarding Fault Code 4533. There doesn't seem to be much help here. I have not seen any discussion of the outputs from the Rexroth Controller. Is there a block diagram of the inputs and outputs to/from the controller? Would wiring problems on output circuits cause Fault Code 4533? I am planning to remove the rear plate on the dozer so that I can inspect the wiring at the drive motors. I have ordered a USB to RS232 connector and have downloaded the Bodas software. I sure hate to invest in a replacement Joystick until I can prove that is the problem.
The joystick uses CAN communication to the drive train controller. So as long as you correctly performed the wiring checks at the joystick, you issue is with the joystick. The most common failure on the joystick is the potentiometers. They will wear out and not be properly centered. You will be able to verify this with the bodas software. You should be able to build the cable for under $50. Bodas free version will allow you to monitor parameters but not change them. I will post some pictures of my cables.
Thanks Gary. I should have software and cables by 10/22/20 then hope to look at it by 10/23/20. I will update you with what I find.
Well, I didn't have any luck with the software. I downloaded the software the requires a license key to connect. I have built a cable but will have to download the monitoring software you suggested. With another hurricane on it's way to south Lousiana, I decided to call my local dealer for help. Their mechanic found an open wire in the CAN circuit between the joystick, the service connection, and the drivetrain controller. This was a twisted pair inside a sheath, inside a wire loom, very well protected. We didn't actually remove the wire we just wrapped a replacement around the sheath and secured it well. We also found the original connection between the 4 white wires in the CAN circuit which and been twisted together and had heat shrink tubing holding them together. We added our replacement wire and soldered the joint. The only thing I can figure is that there were a few zip ties on the twisted pair that may have been tight enough to give a stress point in the wiring causing it to break. Because of pending rain, we decided not to cut the piece out completely to locate the brake. Maybe once I get the machine home I may dig deeper just to satisfy my curiosity. The broken connection was found by checking continuity at the drive train controller back toward the joystick and the service connection. I had not disconnected the drive train controller to make those tests during my initial troubleshooting. Thanks for your help.
Sounds like you found the issue, the software would have told you that the joystick was offline, which is probably what the Case mechanic saw. With bad CAN wires to the joystick, there shouldn't have been 120ohms at pin 3 to 4 on the joystick connector, harness side. There also shouldn't have been proper CAN voltages. The wires may have made partial contact again when you moved the harness to do your resistance and voltage checks. I have a older version of the bodas software that works without a licence. I will try and upload it to dropbox and send you a link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4ck98svs97lr78/BODAS-service 3.1.14.14.11_Setup.exe?dl=0