Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 450C Radiator Leak Issues (Need temp fix)

Heavy Chevy ยท 2020-10-16 06:43

My JD 450C just started leaking coolant. I have it on a jobsite and need to use it for about 3 more hours. I ran it last week after adding about a gallon or more coolant. The thermostat is working as I kept my eyes on the temp gauge. After about 20 good minutes that temp would reach and stay at about 180 without cooling down which I attribute to low coolant by then. I just need to finish this job and then I will bring it back and remove the radiator for repair. My question is, should I use a radiator stop leak solution to get me through? If so, what is the best stuff out there and what are the side-effects of me using that to get thru the job? If I add, am I gonna cause more problems with clogging up engine ports or something? I haven't actually seen where the hole is....I pulled the overflow tube out and let it hang outside of the grill and then I ran the dozer until the temp stayed at 180 again....shut it down and watched until I finally saw a drip underneath the radiator.....can't see any fluid coming thru the fins for a obvious hole. Can I loosen the cap and run it? Should I get a pressure test kit and try to make it leak after filling with water? I just need to finish this job.

Replies6
  1. #1oarwhat2020-10-16 07:40

    Try loosening the cap first. I've used "bars leak" with good results. Most times it cured the leak for years.

  2. #2Heavy Chevy2020-10-16 08:36

    Thx much....I just looked it up and there are many variants of "Bars", any particular one that you used?

  3. #3oarwhat2020-10-16 12:04

    It's been long time since I had to use it The one we used had pellets in it.

  4. #4mitch5042020-10-16 12:09

    A lot of times just loosening the radiator cap one click will slow the leak enough to finish the job, just watch your temperature!

  5. #5Delmer2020-10-16 14:21

    three hours? just keep adding water. 180 is no problem at all, but if that's how you know it's low, add water and keep running. hopefully you have a rain barrel so you're not adding swamp water or well water. If you only have hard well water, buy distilled water. No way would I put bars leak in, especially not knowing what's leaking. Have you tightened the hose clamps?

  6. #6Tinkerer2020-10-16 20:13

    As much as I hate to use an additive to stop a leak. I have used water glass also known as liquid glass with excellent long lasting results.