Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850b

Case 850B ยท 2013-10-21 10:24

I just go an 1979 case 850b for clearing roads on my ranch so no real hard use... I'm having brake problems and can't seem to find out what fluid to fill the master cylinders with... I'm sure this will not fix my problems it just the first step... Help anyone

Replies4
  1. #1alrman2013-10-21 15:34

    Welcome to HEF Case 850B! You will need to use Dot3 brake fluid on your old girl. What exactly is it/not doing?

  2. #2Case 850B2013-10-21 16:08

    Well right now the left side steering peddles work most of the time but the right steering peddle seems to get softer as it is used. The right side peddle with the hand brake just goes to the floor. I'm going to pull the floor plates off and try doing the brake adjustments and see where that gets me... It's just a starting point but it sure would be nice if that was all it needs

  3. #3sheepfoot2013-10-21 22:15

    Like alrman said it uses the dot3, once they have been toped off you can bleed them at the slave cylinders and see if the pedal gets any better. If it will work the arms with the slave cylinder and pedal gets firm and holds you may be good to go. If pedal will not build pressure it may have master cylinder issues, the quad ring on the cutout spool could be bad (pumping brake fluid into the trans) or needs a brake adjustment to tighten the stroke of the slave cylinder to feel pedal. Those machines have some age and most never used the brakes when running them.

  4. #4Case 850B2013-11-01 15:13

    Hi... I finely got back up in the mountains to work on the 850 but was unable to get the right side floor plate offs. With the left side off I found both master cylinders full and could see everything moving so hopefully once I get right side off and adjust everything that will take care of the brake problems... Thank you for the help