Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 85XT Brake Issue

MRKD · 2019-01-21 20:03

Hello all, I recently purchased a 2005 Case 85XT skid steer with about 4000 hrs. When I bought it the ROPS safety system had been bypassed so the machine was always in “drive” mode. Neutral and parking brake functions did not operate. I replaced all of the safety switches and was able to get all of that functioning properly again. It now goes into neutral when I lift the seat bar up or sit up from the seat. The brake light on the left operator panel turns on verifying there is hydraulic pressure at the NORS switch. The problem I have is that the parking brake either isn’t working or its not working well. If I stop on a hill and press the brake button on the joystick the skid should hold. It does go into neutral after pressing the button but it still rolls slowly down the hill. I tried the same test after disconnecting the hydraulic feed line to the brake assemblies and it still rolled. From what I understand if there’s no hydraulic pressure present at the brake assembly the spring loaded parking brake should engage and hold the skid steer. Does anyone know if theres a way of adjusting the parking brake or does it sound like I have bigger issues that will require removing both drives and rebuilding the brake assemblies? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2019-01-21 20:33

    Welcome to HEF @MRKD The brake system is not adjustable. They either work or they don't. You will need to remove the motors & check for worn brake discs or broken springs.

  2. #2MRKD2019-01-21 21:59

    Thank you! I suspected that was the case but thought I’d ask before tearing into it. Hopefully it’s not too complicated of a job. Great forum!