Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 9050b: help bringing it back to life

mattwaage1 ยท 2017-12-12 00:35

Hi everyone! just joined here, all of my google searches have always led here when I was checking things out so time to join and ask the pros! A little about me: I am a mechanic by trade but most of my time has been on light duty applications. I am only vaguely familiar with the theory of operation behind this excavator so some of my explanations or descriptions might be off and I may need an over simplified explanation~ haha sorry! What I have: I am looking to buy a case 9050b that has been semi abandoned for a while. its not in great exterior condition, but this is Hawaii and nothing ever is. Anyhow, this machine has been sitting a few years. I drained the fuel tank but chose to run a line from a fuel can to the fuel pump on the engine instead. After much cranking and fighting the engine finally started and idled pretty decent. there was a beeper going off in the cab for low fuel level I believe and that was the only warning. THis machine has a Mitsubishi engine and not the cummins as stated other places online. Anyhow, problem1: engine running, the lever by the seat I pushed down and got nothing. no response from any hydraulics or any controls on the machine. I, guessing the first place to start is this solenoid but I am unsure of its position or the wiring going to it. I checked the fluid level of course and will again tomorrow, it was below the sight glass when the door was opened but I checked with a dip stick and it appeared to be just at the bottom. tomorrow I will add some to keep the system in the sight glass. problem 2, or maybe the main problem: while cranking and idling there is a main feed line that appears to come from the bottom of the hydraulic tank to the bottom of the pump. this line is maybe 2 inch or more diameter and has steel straight sections and rubber elbows. the rubber elbow just below the pump crushes interally while cranking and idling. such as, the pump is sucking and causing a vaccum and collapsing the rubber elbow. not sure what could be causing this, or if it just happens or...? this migh be the main problem because logic tells me this should be filled with hydraulic fluid and not collapsing. I didn't have much time to investigate that but I plan on it tomorrow, hopefully with some pointers from any of you. summary: engine runs, no hydraulic operations. Thanks everyone glad to be here! -Matt

Replies20
  1. #1ycs2017-12-12 02:41

    Maybe the hydraulic inside was dirty and clogged the filter inside the tank... Change it and replace the rubber hose to the main pump, check the pilot filter too..

  2. #2mattwaage12017-12-12 02:53

    I had the spring loaded cover for the tank off of what looked like an in tank filter. Does that filter on its way to the pump or on the return side? I didnt get a good look and couldnt tell. Any idea where the pilot filter is located? Is it the metal screw on filter on the back side of the tank?

  3. #3ycs2017-12-12 03:39

    The in tank filter is suction filter for hydraulic pump, the pilot filter should be located behide the tank and up the pump...

  4. #4John C.2017-12-12 11:01

    There is a suction strainer in the tank. The cover plate that has the fill cap can be removed and there is what looks like a pipe with a spring in it. Remove the spring is it isn't attached to the inside of the pipe and set it aside so that it doesn't get lost. You can pull up on the pipe now and the strainer will be at the bottom. When you get it out you can look to see if it is clogged. Here is a YouTube video of a Komatsu that is similar to the Sumitomo excavator for maintenance.

  5. #5mattwaage12017-12-12 13:07

    Thanks fellas i will check both those hopefully later today and post the status. Hopefully solve the suction issue!

  6. #6mattwaage12017-12-12 20:52

    Alright fellas! Followed john c video and pulled the strainer. I dont know how to describe this substance besides "snot" Blew it off with air, brake cleaned. Swirled it around and picked up some more and cleaned it. Reinstalled. Started machine. Tried hydraulics quick with no response. Shut off machine. I could hear some noise from the pump and the inlet hose under the pump was sucked closed again. Checked the strainer and it was full of this snot and the machine had pumped the beautiful white fluid out from a small broken hose that used to goto an inlet on the cap. So of course the question is now what? I do not own this machine yet and i know a full filter change and hy fluid change and flush is the next step. I guess the question is if i can score it for 500 bucks or so is there hope of this ever running? It appears that fluid still circulates a bit but before i put 800 bucks in hydraulic fluid and filters onto it what else can i check or try? I guess i am assuming everything else works if we can resolve this cruddy fluid issue. It seems like the pumps want to pump. Whats the easiest or best way to flush this system? What would you guys do next?

  7. #7mattwaage12017-12-12 20:54

    More pics Pulled what i think is the pilot filter and found this white fluid pretending to be hydraulic.

  8. #8Delmer2017-12-12 22:27

    That there is snot, caused by water, heat, air, bacteria. I didn't catch what you want to do with this thing, but if you like playing around with parts like this, then I'd plan to rig up a filter cart of sorts with heat/vacuum dehydration to clean that system, repeatedly, then if it works you can invest in the new oil. Changing the oil now will just give you half contaminated oil.

  9. #9mattwaage12017-12-12 22:58

    Can you describe this device and its operation a bit more?

  10. #10Delmer2017-12-12 23:25

    http://www.oilfiltrationsystems.com...drator-oil-purification-systems-oil-purifier/ http://www.oilfiltrationsystems.com/company_products/low-viscosity-filter-cart/ These are the commercial version. Obviously you're not going to spend tens of thousands of dollars to save a little oil. As it sits that machine is scrap, you want it to run you're going to have to figure it out. In the short term, a filter will take the slime out, and then after it works you can worry about the water. Another option is to clean the system piece by piece. Working hydraulics will let you pump the oil out of each cylinder by disconnecting hoses one at a time etc.

  11. #11John C.2017-12-13 01:10

    Nothing will take all that water out. It's in every hose, pipe, valve and cylinder. You will fight it forever. Walk away while you still can. If you spend a dollar, you will spend $100,000 trying to make that machine run.

  12. #12sawdustmaker2017-12-13 01:55

    I bought a 9040B (linkbelt 3400q but same machine) earlier this year that had been sitting ~5 years. From what i have found on mine i would highly recommend not running the machine any more without fresh fluid and filters if you plan to own it. FWIW That is way way way worse than the little bit of water and crap in my fluid, and im still fighting it. I took the OEM part numbers and got NOS filters off ebay for a fraction of dealer price.

  13. #13mattwaage12017-12-13 02:18

    The jungle eats things here if people let them sit. Not too.many machines available on the island for a reasonable price and its 20g or so to ship one from cali other wise i wouldnt be looming in the scrap pile. I think this one might be a lost cause from what everyone is saying and i am reading... Just on a side note, these case machines are built by sumitomo and branded as case?

  14. #140072017-12-13 07:03

    dude walk away that machine will break your heart. imagine what the state of all your bearings and pump internals with that pus through out the system. If your hell bent on getting it going maybe you can get a few hundred litres of second hand oil from another machines oil change and use it to blow all that crap out in one pass not circulate? Can you not import a cheap Chinese machine or good secondhand one??

  15. #15sawdustmaker2017-12-13 15:55

    Yes that is a sumitomo machine. Same as a link belt 4300q.

  16. #16excavator2017-12-13 18:20

    Sumitomo made the Case and LinkBelt along with marketing their own machine. If it's got a Mitsubishi in it then it is likely a Sumitomo. Case used Cummins and LinkBelt used Isuzu.

  17. #17mattwaage12017-12-13 19:29

    Ok all thanks for all the info im closing this down on the case machine. Found another hopeful prospect, john deere 922elc. Little bigger than i wanted but condition is much better. Own states had a problem with slow travel and swing, diagnosed as electrically not stroking the pump? I havent fired it up yet but ill be looking later this week and starting a new thread but if anyone has some advice what to keep an eye out for on this deere that would be much appreciated. John deere 922elc = hitachi ???

  18. #18excavator2017-12-13 21:09

    Deere 992elc = Hitachi EX400-3

  19. #19mattwaage12017-12-13 21:17

    Thanks much!

  20. #20Coy Lancaster2017-12-15 18:36

    On the 9050b the safety lever in the cab you need to check the switch that the lever contacts. On the hyd. issue the hyd. tank is pressurized by an air compressor the tank is on the left side behind the cab. The water issue can be corrected by changing the oil and using a good oil. The solenoids behind the tank may be stuck also another thing to check.