Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 90xt high speed on right side only.

Schmity ยท 2011-06-25 00:33

Just bought a 90xt. Seems like a good machine, but has a few bugs that I would like to try and work out. It is a two speed machine. In low speed the left side is just a little faster than the right (ie. the skid steer always tracks to the right when pushing both joysticks all the way forward). When the high speed button is pressed the right side seems to shift into high gear, but the left side doesn't (pulls heavy left in high speed). I'm thinking something electrical, but I looked underneath the hood, but haven't a clue where to start. Also is there a way to adjust the speed for right and left so the machine tracks straight?

Replies2
  1. #1Goose2011-06-25 16:35

    The 2 speed is just a little hydraulic cylinder attached to the swashplate levers on both motors. In one position the cylinder is retracted and pulls the levers closer and in the other it pushes them apart changing the displacment of the motors. If on side is working the electric side and the valve are working. Check the cylinder and levers and see if the levers are both free. As far as the straight travel you can adjust it but get the 2 speed working right first so you dont adjust the straight travel with one of the motors possibly not being all the way in low range.

  2. #2Schmity2011-06-25 18:01

    Found it...The swivel (not sure what exactly its called) on the end of the cylinder is worn out, and the bushing came out of the end of cylinder. I worked it back together and put a washer underneath so that the cylinder couldn't fall down again. It's kind-of a temporary fix, but it looks like the whole cylinder would have to be replaced, and that looks like it would require pulling the pump just to get to it. Anyways, after re-attaching the cylinder it the high speed is working. Any thoughts on how to get the cylinder out without completely dismantling the whole machine? As far as adjusting the straightness of the machine, I can see where the linkages for right and left are. I noticed that there is a lot of "play" in the left and right cam shaft in the control blocks ( look here ) I suspect that the bearings are out, and if they are replaced might make a difference in the way it travels. Is this normal? On another note, I live in west texas which is primarily sand (desert sand). Hardly no rocks or gravel to speak of. I've noticed that this wheel machine is basically helpless in deep sand without even pushing, pulling, moving dirt....just an empty machine traveling in deep sand. I think that I could probably trade for a tracked machine and not lose much if any on what I've spent on the 90xt. My questions are, would the track machine be that much better in deep sand. Without the presence of rocks, gravel, heavy clay, how much more would the tracked machine cost to maintain?