Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Error with ET 2024A and 478-0235 Comm Adapter 3

fultsie ยท 2025-06-26 19:41

I have ET 2024A and Comm Adapter 3. It will find all of the ECM's on my 299D2 XHP, but the 299 Machine Control ECM will say "Incomplete" (see below). I hooked up to a 279 and the same error occurs, so the problem is not my 299. I think the J1939 and CDL must work together for this ECM, but only the J1939 light flickers, nothing on the CDL. The checkbox for using dual communications is already checked. I check the pinouts on the cable from the machine to the adapter and they seem fine. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.....thanks.....Steve

Replies9
  1. #1Cmark2025-06-26 20:06

    On the drop down menu, click File > Switch data link. This should fix the problem.

  2. #2fultsie2025-06-26 20:29

    Oh my, I'll give it go in the morning. Can't believe I missed something so simple. THANK YOU in advance.

  3. #3Cmark2025-06-26 20:36

    Just doing my job

  4. #4fultsie2025-06-27 11:41

    Well, I'm sad to report switching the data link didn't change a thing, other than cause a reconnect with the very same error. Weird. I thought for sure it would work. I also did it in trainer mode and got the same error and could toggle back and forth with and without "incomplete". But, when I connect to the machine it will reconnect with the very same "incomplete" on just the 299 Machine ECM and not toggle back and forth. I'm going to check the drivers again for lack of other idea's at the moment.

  5. #5Nige2025-06-27 13:38

    Take a look at the drivers for the Comm Adapter while you're at it. I've had those pull some funny sh*t on me at various times.

  6. #6Cmark2025-06-27 18:56

    Do you have access to another CA3 and cable you can try?

  7. #7fultsie2025-06-28 19:24

    I've tried my ET setup on a 279 and it did the exact same thing. I'm comfortable it's an issue with my ET setup. Currently working on reinstalling on another computer. It seems the SN on the engine is the later and matches the ECM. Could this really be a 200 hour engine......nah.....not that lucky

  8. #8Cmark2025-06-28 19:56

    Seems plausible. 2JA0473 had over 3000 hrs on it. This thread needs merging with your other one. *Mods please*

  9. #9Jrod252026-05-06 14:57

    Did you ever find a solution to this, I have a 272d and it's always show "incomplete" on my Machine Control on my ET. But all of the switches all seems to be recognized correctly, so I close the door, lower the arm rest , etc . Everything shows in ET is communicating like it should.other than the message and limited functionality within ET itself, it seems to be working correctly