OK guys I'm working on a Case CX330 excavator, It has the 6TAA-8304 24valve engine with the CAPS injection pump. I am in the process of replacing the injection pump, I've got everything hooked up and ready to bleed system. My question is the new pump had a transient suppressor in with it and I'm wondering where I should connect this suppressor in the wiring? If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I've talked to Cummins and Case dealers both and they haven't a clue.
Oh look.....a squirrel! That's about how much help I will be here. Next up........
That's alright I found out what I need to know.
So were does it go to help others out with this same issue ?
It goes in the engine harness. I haven’t found it exactly I’ll let you know when I do.
Did you get the pump from Cummins.. or aftermarket ??
It's an aftermarket reman cummins pump. They sent a new transient suppressor with new pump ( first time I'd ever seen one) and it threw me for a loop for a bit. Now I just have to locate it in harness and replace it.
When I was "in the biz" ..we couldn't sell aftermarket pumps & actually there wasn't any.. it was Cummins ONLY. I had 1 customer who called at 4:55pm & needed a pump "tomorrow" & didn't care how much it cost.. I called Cummins & naturally they didn't have 1, so they ordered it overnite express.. That guys bill was over 4 Grand.. & sorry, I never heard of a transient suppressor../ & WHY would u need 1.??
Lots of info about it in this link. I hope it helps you Coy. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/on-transient-fuel-supresser-330-isc-334789.htm Here is an explanation of what it does from that website post.
That's the suppressor it's located behind the fuel filter bolted to the block, kind of hard to get to in an excavator but doable.
THANK YOU Tinkerer.. probably from all of us, for sticking w/ the problem & supplying the answer/link.. You da man..
Does having to install a "transient suppressor" ring up some alarm bells in anyone else? Are the systems in the new engines so fragile that after market devices have to be installed in the systems to protect the boxes. To me it brings two thoughts to mind. First one is this required in order to sell more parts or raise the prices of common replacements? Second item, is this an easy way to deny warranty claims?
My take on it is.. they{Cummins/Denso} figured out the pump was killing the ecm under some conditions.. so rather than recall a million engines, they waited till the pump went out & added a suppressor w/ a reman pump.. OR the "aftermarket" pumps electronics are so bad {inferior} they're killing the ecm's, so a suppr. is given w/ each pump..?? THIS was the 1st I've heard of a trans. suppressor..
Cummins installed the suppressor in the engine harness from factory, a new one is mandatory when reman pumps are installed, whether Cummins or aftermarket, is the what I was told by Cummins in Memphis. I believe it's a CYA kind of deal.
Kinda like making the customer buy a lift pump when replacing a VP common rail pump.. Theres a note in the box about replacing it & a no warranty clause.
Yeah kind of like that, the thing that got me was that the local Case dealer nor the local Cummins dealer knew anything about it.
Doesn't say much for the Cummins electronics or the dealer then does it?
No really it doesn't the case dealer has gone down hill sense I worked there, not just my words.
Its simply a case of the inj, pump manuf. not getting the correct specs when the ecm was produced.. or the wire size when the harness was made.. It happens.. & depending on how old this problem is.. there should be a Cummins Service Bulletin on it.. & by looking at the date of the SB, u can determine how bad your dealers are..
You are correct about that. But I think unless the dealers have dealt with the problem then they won't know because you know how SBs are treated they come in get filed (maybe) and get forgotten a lot of times.