Did anyone happen to see it up close and what did you think of it? For me it could be a good solution to my multitasking. I am sure I probably cant afford it but it is fun to dream and it looks like it has potential.
Do you mean the CTL case had at the conex show with the the steel tracks, dozer blade attachment , and the rippers? I'd post a pic of it if I could figure out how....
Yes. That is the machine. I know its not a dozer but it looks like it could do smaller jobs where I need to do multiple things. If only my wallet could afford me.
I think the real problem is that we were told it's just a concept machine. I think it's the most aggressive thing Case has done in eons, it looks like a great idea, especially since you don't "have" to buy it with the blade attachment....
I thought that I read somewhere that CASE is going to build it. I think if it is executed right, it could become a pretty popular machine. I could see it being popular as a mulching platform as well as a small finish grade dozer. The devil will be in the details. It is a pretty bold move and it is good to see CASE getting in front of what could be a good idea.
Too bad Cat has already put steel tracks on a CTL. Probably wouldn't be had to fab the ripper.
There is a lot more to the design than steel tracks on a CTL. The dozer is intergraded into the frame of the machine, note how the dozer locks in to the machine, it is not through the bucket coupler. The loader arms are longer to allow for the dozer attachment. It would make using a dozer a lot more effective than it currently is on a CTL, simply by the increase in machine length. We will see what happens with it. Interesting if nothing else.
Not only does the blade lock in hydraulicly on the bottom push arms but imho the best thing they did was put a switch inside that changes the right hand joystick controls from loader control a dozer style operation. Meaning you don't use the tilt function to raise and lower the blade, it will operate the blade just like a dozer would. A great way to keep a dozer operator from losing his mind trying to use a blade on a skid steer
I didn't realize the controls switched like that. Good idea.
Ya right , I seriously feel sorry for the person that buys that, Case has great ideas but poor engineering. There alpha skids have been a nightmare for the majority of owners and took them years at the cost of the owners to start and correct some of the issues, I could list most of them but don't feel like typing that much.
The Alpha series is not representative of all CASE products or their engineering. Even with the initial issues with the Alpha, CASE has addressed them and continually improve the product. Every OEM has had a new product launch they would like to have back, and the Alpha series is CASE's. The product should have been better upon release, I would agree and they would too. I was just at a customer clinic this week in Wichita. I have seen the changes made first hand and improvements. I went through them myself with the people that know while I was there. My personal example is this: My 2012 TR320 had some EH issues and several other problems that should not have been problems. My 2014 SV300 has except for the AC line replacement under warranty, it has yet to go down in 1000 hours. Do you want to judge Deere for their release of the 200 series? or the 90% as bad Series 2 machine? BC's 864 debacle? How about JD's current Quad Trac Ag tractor debacle? CAT's first Series of BH's? Ford 6.0 and 6.4 diesel engines? It should not happen yet with all the computer technology and know how we possess, yet bad things still happen.
Ok, I'll bite. What's the story on the JD RTX debacle??
They having some intense growing pains. While some of the patents had expired on the Quad Trac, not all of them have, so Deere had to make some compromises as it was explained to me. They are having severe structural issues.
Back to the DL 450. Can you still utilize other attachments on this machine easily like the quick attach or is it strictly a dozer. If so, it seems the rippers would be a hindrance in certain terrains. Also a concern with the front idler mount. It looks like a weak point compared to the old undercarriages. Any opinions on that set up?
You will be able to use the machine like a CTL that is an important part of the idea of the machine. As to the design, I am sure once they build some prototype machines and test them, the design will be subject to change. The machine at ConExpo is not a working machine. It is a mockup of an idea. I thought I had read that CASE was for sure building it, after being there, I think they are still deciding on that at least as of a couple weeks ago. I hope that it makes sense to build it.
Fencefool, my personal thoughts on the build design are that if they take CTL components and put them in a machine with a focus on dozing, you are not going to see the life you should out of the final drives, hyd pumps and so forth. The drivetrain will have to be more HD, closer to a small finish dozer in that regard. I am no engineer, but the danger in building a hybrid machine like this is customers doing more with it than it than it was designed for.
This seriously reminds me of the dozer blade shown in an operator manual i have, just more refined.
Your right about doing more than capable but that undercarriage looks the same as on a new Tr340. You have what looks to be a 1/2" flat bar that holds the front idler. It just looks problematic to me. The reason I'm picking your brain is because you seem to be one who has tested a lot of case machines and I'm looking at newer ones but after being in the fabrication business and building a lot of one off attachments, it looks like a weak point. I don't know if own a newer one or not but my 400 series just seems stouter in that region.
I am sure that the undercarriage is the same with an extra roller. Again it is a mockup of an idea. They likely used what they had access to in order to build a mockup to display at Conexpo. Simply a way to convey an idea. I would not get to excited about the details you see in this machine. Should they decide to go after this concept they will build some running machines and refine the idea.
The 400 series is more stout than about any thing on the market in my opinion from a build stand point. That machine design can trace its DNA back to the XT series designed in the mid 90's. Steel was cheap and they used a lot of it on those machines. They became expensive to build as steel became much more expensive. Everyone has done the same thing over latest generation of machines, Takeuchi seems to be the exception to building lighter. Look at CAT's C series loader arms verse the D series. I think most have taken a "build smarter" approach on their newer machines which means using more engineering and less steel.