Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case TR320 Crank Sensor Troubleshooting

flipz34 ยท 2023-01-24 13:18

Hoping you guys can give me some assistance as local dealer has been of limited help. I've got a Case TR320 with fault codes and Stop Eng light on. Codes were for crank and cam sensors. Dealer found bad cam position and crank position sensors. They replaced those and fault would not clear. They determined that the engine sensor harness was bad and replaced that as well. Told us that it was good to go and as machine was pulled onto trailer, fault lights came back. Only thing left was ECU according to techs. They replaced and fault didn't correct. We're into machine at dealer for about $6K right now and they supposedly removed crank sensor and used boroscope to determine that the crank sensor timing gear was "warped" and this was reason that the crank sensor voltage was erratic. They said we're looking at another $14-16K to pull motor and check gear. We had them close it up and picked up machine. This happened several months ago and things have slowed down enough that I now have time to dig into this. So far I've found 2 connectors that were not plugged into their respective sensors and one connector with pins folded over so badly that I don't know how they were able to lock the connector. Another Case dealer my father in law has been in contact with is positive that we we have a wiring issue. I downloaded the service manual that I was pretty sure is for my machine but my results checking the wiring have been mixed so far. I think it is for a newer machine at this point as some wiring matches and some doesn't. What I have found so far: Crank sensor connector to engine sensor harness is good per my diagram - Sensor + to Conn X017 Pin 9 - Sensor - to Conn X017 Pin 10 From X017 to ECU Conn X016 is bad per my diagram - Conn X017 Pin 9 does not connect to ECU Conn X016 Pin 59 - Conn X017 Pin 10 does not connect to ECU Conn X016 Pin 44 Tech at dealership checked things for me and ECU pins are correct per his diagram but X017 pins are different on his diagram. His shows Sensor + to pin 23 of X017 and Sensor - to pin 19 of X017. At this point, I think we have the engine sensor harness for a different machine installed on here. Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of the engine sensor harness so I can check the wiring installed right now. I would like to know if I could rewire the incorrect section if only crank position wiring in wrong on harness. I was avionics tech in Air Force until I retired so I know my way around a multimeter and wiring repairs. TLDR Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of the engine sensor harness so I can check the wiring installed right now and change as needed. Case TR 320 machine serial # is 463100 Thanks in advance.

Replies2
  1. #1heymccall2023-01-24 20:27

    Your $6k in, and they didn't fix it. Politely ask them for the electrical schematic. I didn't see any on the web.

  2. #2flipz342023-01-25 10:58

    I have asked for the diagram from the dealer. The service writer says he is not proficient in navigating their system to find the information that I needed and said he would have tech get in touch with me. Finally did hear from the tech with the information in my original post. Going back over this morning with the exact page from my diagram that I need and see if they can help me again. My machine was built after a production break and I have ran across more that a few parts that should be the updated part numbers but are actually old ones. Wonder if that is the case with this engine harness. Sucks ordering parts and then having to order again because the Case system is incorrect.