I'm trying to replace two of the hydraulic filters on my TL130. The inline filter is a spin on canister with the filter inside. It looks like there is a 27mm nut on the end of the canister. I tried turning the canister with filter pliers but could not get it to budge. Is the nut used to help turn the canister? Also, which way do you turn it? The manual says counterclockwise. When I tilt up the canopy the filter is on my right. Also, what is the best tool for this? Do I need to crack open the hydraulic tank cap to relieve pressure? The manual does not mention this. Regarding the Hydraulic Return filter, this filter does not seem like the typical thin wall filters and does not seem easy to turn. Anyone have an ide of the best way to remove this? I have a large set of Channel Lock filter pliers, and a Harbor Freight vise grip filter pliers. Do you think it's ok to use Baldwin filters?
Here is the inline filter drawing.
Here is the return filter drawing
1-1/16 box wrench on the under cab filter. Wrench turns away from pumps, toward left side track. For the rear spin on, blunt chisel against the notch, hammer at decent force. Or the Takeuchi supplied wrench. Both are RH thread. I can recall at least one time where I had to remove the whole assembly and place it in a vise, for both units.
The spin on filter wrench above is $75 from Takeuchi, 881920060. #23 in drawing. No need to open tank, as it isn't under pressure. It's vented.
I take it you have the notched spin on filter wrench? Does it work well? Any other uses for it? Looks like it's hard to find.
Have you considered one of these.? There's not much they won't get off. https://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-Filter-Strap-Wrench-185-3630/dp/B004TR4B7S
I have thought about going to that type of strap, or the kind with a metal band with handle, or with socket wrench hole. Problem with those, is I have no idea on what sizes I need. I really like tools you can get a longer leverage bar on. They need to to work for smaller Toro Dingo filters, and Takeuchi TB016,TB240, TB153Fr, TL130, Hitachi LX20. Nige, is the amazon a tool that you use?
The notched wrench was provided with my TL150 machines, when new. All 3 of them.
The one in that link is a genuine Cat filter strap as far as I can see. The Cat P/N is 185-3630 and the nylon strap is about 3" wide. Maybe HMC can give you a price from his local Cat dealer because I don't have access to parts pricing any more.
My Cat login has gone stupid. It knows it's a strap wrench, but, it won't acknowledge it. The part number shows under a handful of vendors online, though.
Ok, thanks guys! Will order the strap. Now I'm thinking of ordering new gas struts 2 qty 1653900060 as the canopy won't stay up and I have to run a sling to the excavator before I can pin it.
Again, for the rear spin on, to shock it loose, use a blunt chisel and hammer on one of the notches. Once shocked, any old strap wrench will work.
Had to disconnect the two hoses and ground and remove the whole assembly. I had to mount it in my big Wilton Vise and use a three foot bar with 27 mm socket. Attached is an image of the filter. The light color one is a new Baldwin. I replaced it with a Takeuchi one and installed a new rubber O ring. The hydraulic fluid looks good, but there was some debris in it. Does this filter look extremely dirty, or does it always get this dark. I don't think it has been changed out for likely over a 1000 hours.
At least it's not collapsed.