Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case tv 380 hydrualic fluid ?

rackmaster ยท 2015-06-10 12:22

I just purchased a 2011 case tv380 , and want to service the machine. I get conflicting advise on what hyd fluild to use. recommendations are 1- just use a 10-30 motor oil, or rotella 15-40 2- do above but use aditive to prevent foaming 3- use execuvator fluid due to heat buildup, which this fluid is more resistant. the manual calls for a 10-30 fluid, but no additive, so I interept that to be just a straight good grade 10-30 auto oil, is that correct or am I missing something?? would you add the anti foam agent? Ive read several posts, also. even the case site does not have the TV380 listed under the tool box section on picking proper fluids. I did notice the older units suggested additive, but the later models shown did not. Just looking for good experienced advise. Tks,

Replies9
  1. #1KSSS2015-06-10 20:41

    I have two Alpha' (TR320 and SV300). I have been using 10-30 as the recommendations from CASE suggest. I live in Idaho and have not had issues with the 10-30 in cold weather operation. I would use the 10-30 with no HTO.

  2. #2JNB2015-06-10 22:29

    I've been told that the excavator fluid (blue) is expensive and unnecessary for my TR320, but I still run it. The hydro whine is greatly reduced compared to 10-30 and HT Ultra, and I can't help but think that it has to be better for the pump and system.

  3. #3rackmaster2015-06-11 22:38

    Yes, shop guy at case said that he put it in machines that got a lot of heat, But I believe he said it was a 10w, straight. I appreciate your imput. Since mine will not see much use in hot weather, I will just use a good 10/30 without any additive.

  4. #4rackmaster2015-06-28 22:23

    I ordered some 5 gal pails of a premium 10-30 and went to drain it tonight, interesting that the owners manual did not tell where the drain plug is. My question is, I got only 5 gal out, I cranked it for a few seconds and another gallon or so came out. the book says it holds 11 gal, so HOW do I get the other out? it seems fruitless to change 1/2 the fluid. also the fluid that was in it felt light weight, and had a light green tint, it could be what came stock from factory. Not sure, but it def was thinner than a 10/30. so, hows best way to get most all fluid out? and does the stock fluid have a light green tint?

  5. #5KSSS2015-06-30 00:54

    The stock fluid has a green tint to it. I would not get excited about it. The fluids are compatible. Change the fluid you can get at and run it and next year change the fluid again. Perhaps someone has a procedure for getting it all but between the pumps, drives and lines, that will be a lot of work to get all of it out and the potential of running something dry would not be worth the risk. I have been adding 10/30 as I need, to maintain the appropriate level. Gradually it will all be 10/30.

  6. #6rackmaster2015-06-30 09:33

    Thank you, KSSS I changed it yesterday and put about 8 gal back, so must have a about 3 gal or the original fluid. unit has 1100 hrs on it, and I was not sure about prior service so I like to service everything. First skid steer I have ever owned, it will take a while to get familiar with it. I set the controls to ISO, vs H pattern. I have a cutter supposed to arrive today, thats main reason for this purchase. Thanks,

  7. #7KSSS2015-06-30 22:34

    I have been running a Diamond high flow mower on my TR320. Taking down heavy thicket type material and the machine isn't even working hard. Zero heat issues runs at same temp as it does moving dirt.

  8. #8GaryHoff2015-07-23 00:01

    Just my 2cents on this. The early alpha series machines called for hydraulic excavator fluid. Its blue and expensive. The main reason case changed to this was for cold weather operation. Later alpha series started calling for 10w30 engine oil. The reason they changed back, is because 10w30 has a higher sheer rating. This has been used in all the case skid steers for at least the last 20 years, and is proven to work. Hydraulic excavator fluid and 10w30 are fully compatible. HTO additive is a zinc anti-wear/anti foam, and was only used on older machines with the sauer danfoss pumps. I would not recommend using 15w40 in the hydraulics.

  9. #9JNB2015-07-23 19:12

    Very handy info. Thanks!