I am in the market for a new to me hoe. Looking for something 20 - 15 years old. Just the price range im in. I am somewhat familiar with the case 580 and 590 hoes. Looks like i would need a 410 JD to be equivelent in hp and operating weight. Not sure about the Cats. So the question is what machine would you guys prefer if you were buying one? What do ya like about em and what dont ya like. Im leaning towards the case cause I am familliar with them. Am I missing anything by not looking at the other brands?
I bought case because parts are cheap and buckets are easy to find on Craigslist, and it was what I found in the condition and price range I was looking at. To me the most important thing is getting 4 wheel drive and for my own purposes extendahoe - what is it that you're going to be using machine for?
I bought case for parts as well. And I still bitch about the costs on here. Older caterpillar 420's (late 90's) In my opinion are quieter than older case and Deere which makes neighbors happy. Which controls you like? Wobble or 4 lever foot swing controls? If I were to buy Again i would pick early 2000 case 590,4 way bucket, 4wd, extendhoe....the works. I can pick that up for $20-30k all day on Craigslist in southwest. What's the budget.
Going to do general for hire backhoe work. The thing it has to have for me to consider buying it are 4x4, AC, extendahoe and two stick preferably switchable to cat excavator style. With out that i dont want it lol. I think you guys have a good point on bucket avalibility for case. Budget is 15k at the moment but hoping to get that up to 25k by end of summer.
After working case pilots, I never want another wobble or foot swing. Was like sitting in a lazy boy all day digging. Out here for $15k you are getting open cab, 2wd, and maybe? an xtendahoe. And that was a case 680k not even close to a 590. I would love to see what you find. Sounds like you need a nice machine to work with
Yes i really need something that will be competative in the open market. If i go case i really would like an L or an M series. I dont think they had the changable controls till the M series. But i agree they are the only way to go. If you have ever run one with pilot controls it spoils you awfully fast lol. On price i know 15k is a bit tough. I think im gona need to get up to 25-30 k which shouldn't be a problem if this summer is as good as last summer. When i look and do my research it looks like you can get a machine like i want at auction for 15 -25K. Dealers are priced 5-10 k more than auction results.
Lots of BackHoe's sold today at the Ritchie auction in Las Vegas for what I thought were low prices. Many 2000 to 2009 with 5k to 8k hours for between $15k and $25k with cabs/AC/heat. Whether or not all the stuff worked 100%...??? dunno. Caterpillar stuff always brings a bigger price... I'm in great shape now but I'd never purchase sight-unseen again. Ask me how I know...LOL
Yep those results are pretty much in line with what I saw when I researched auction results. Im with you on sight unseen. I wouldn't bid unless i was there in person and could evaluate the machine thoroughly myself. I have been following Ritchie Bros, Purple wave and equipment trader. I wont even look at iron planet as their terms really suck and your stuck sight unseen with their system. They also have very bad reviews which make me think its best to stay away no matter what they have. Anyhow I have plenty of time and am not in a hurry. Just gotta find the right one and then hope I have the capital to get it when I do. I really dont want to do credit again.
Personally I'm nothing but a case guy. The work I do (in the street excavation) I still prefer 4stick over pilots. Pilots are nice for comfort I suppose and multiple or newer operators. I've operated many machines with pilot controls but day in day out it's always been case controls. The L series 97-2001 was probably the best years. Although a case guy, Deere makes a very good qaulity machine. Find either brand that's been maintained and continue taking care of it, you can't go wrong.
I grew up and learned on ford 4 stick as thats what my dad always had. I absolutly cannot run the case 3 stick as the sticks are just in the wrong place to me lol. I think a chimpanzee could do a better job running a case 3 stick than I and he'd probably smell better to lol!
Ritchie bros is Friday in Odessa (kansas city), looked like there were a couple 4x4 extendahoe's. https://www.rbauction.com/backhoe?i...mTnRrPUVxdWlwbWVudC5lbiZOdHQ9YmFja2hvZSZOdHg9 This one is close to me-- most of them by me have had a breaker on them (this one doesn't look like it), so you may be cautious of that. https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/5995418733.html