I have 580k phase three backhoe. Made the mistake of coasting down a grade with forward/reverse selector in neutral but the gear selector in 1st. Without shifting to forward, both rear wheels locked up. The machine will now only move in 4th gear. Any thoughts on the scope of transmission damage and what I should look for when/if I can get the transaxle out of the machine. I have a full copy of the case service manual.
@norockshere welcome to HEF This is a very nasty issue with these transaxle designs. The pinion shaft is lubricated via a pressure feed line & when coasting down a hill with low engine rpm & high load & torque being applied to the drive train, 4th gear gets very hot & welds itself to the pinion shaft. It will involve a full transaxle stripdown & most likely a new crown wheel & pinion gear set. Is it a 4wd model? I've seen twisting damage to the front driveshaft when this happens.
Thanks for quick response. Not an encouraging prognosis. The backhoe is 2WD. Any thoughts on the cost to have transaxle rebuilt assuming I can find a qualified local shop?
I have not rebuilt one for a while. I see crownwheel & pinion gearsets listed in the US for around $850. Genuine parts will be much more. While your in there - the brakes may need replacing too.... There will be other parts obviously & the labour content will be minimum - between 30-50hrs including removal & refitting - with someone who has done them before....
Also worth looking into a reman depending on funds or what downtime is costing. Swap can be done in a day.
If you can find a good used one at a salvage yard may be the way to go for a not so budget friendly repair.
ALRMAN, you noted a possible failure mode for the problem I described. If upon inspection of the transaxle the problem is what you suspect, could the ability to use 4th gear be removed while allowing 1st and 2nd to function? I suggest this as a possible cost savings and the fact that 4th gear has never been used for my needs.
@norockshere I've never considered that option when rebuilding these. I wouldn't think you could leave 4th not functioning as the gear pack needs to spaced correctly to function. You may be able to cut/machine the gear from the pinion shaft & then reuse the original shaft to save dollars. You won't know till it's pulled apart.
Again thanks for response. Looking for a rebuilt transaxle at this point. Anyway I look at it, cost may be prohibitive. Machine may end up in salvage.
Hard choice for sure. A rebuilt one will be a lot cheaper than buying another machine that may develop the same problem after you run it a while. Too many times I have read where drive-line components fail right after unloading them from a delivery truck.
I am looking at a rebuilt transaxle from AMS construction parts, Middletown Ohio. Price $5750 with a reasonable delivery fee. Anyone with first hand experience with this supplier? Hoping the rebuild quality is as extensive as they claim.
They have a lot of good reviews on Facebook.
I've had good and bad deals with AMS (honestly more good) just make sure you run the machine enough to make sure the replacement parts are good. I had a hydraulic pump grenade on a 330cl cat in 12 hours but was out of warranty by a week still a bit butt sore over it.
Sounds like the transaxle with the driveshaft. I pulled mine out of a c and its a pretty easy job. Probably about the same process.
redrunch not even close to the same as a c way bigger job and much heavier different ballgame
if it moves in 4th, both forward and reverse then the ring/pin is ok, shuttle as well. when you put it in 1st does it move, or engine bogs down when you try and move? Or it's like its in neutral? Har far did you coast?
Had not coasted very far, probably only 300 feet. 1st, 2nd and 3rd all react the same. Machine will not move forward or reverse. Engine is loaded with no rotation in the driveline. Removed gear selector linkages and manually moved the 1st/2nd control rod and then the 3rd/4th control rod. Both seemed to move normally with a definite detent at the middle position.
sounds like 2 gears are engaged at the same time. I Will try this with mine, Lift the rear wheels off the ground, put in 3rd, engine off, and see if the wheel will turn by hand maybe be hard, I believe should turn, again will try on mine to confirm. if it does not turn then it's a gear fork shift issue. Assuming it move normally in 4th. also maybe be interesting to see with wheels off the ground engine on, 3rd gear, shuttle forward and see if any movement in the wheels.
I tried this on mine and you cannot turn the wheels. By process of elimination, being that 4th gear works fine, the shuttle is good, ring/pin is good, planetaries are good. just leaves the gears and intermediate shaft and forks. Not sure why coasting would damage them.