Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 140 Differential Broke

SCIearthworks · 2025-01-03 19:04

Hey guys, New to the site. hope i get a load of useful Info here. I have a CAT 140m 2010 mod year ,how difficult is it to remove the diff and any guess at what the repair cost for it would be . i know that all depends on carnage in side . we did move it on and off the low bed when it happened as it was in the middle of our finish grade decided to let go. I don't know if we should just load it back up and take it to cat or pull the diff and send it to cat ? i would like some sound advice from the more qualified hands on here. thanks Rob.

Replies13
  1. #1cuttin edge2025-01-03 19:55

    Are you sure it's a diff, and not an axle or something in one of the chain case. Plus the Cat guys on here will want a serial number.

  2. #2SCIearthworks2025-01-03 20:12

    Ya I opened up the chain drives and everything looks great in side. Ser # is at the shop office so I’ll need to get that tomorrow. Fwiw it will drive and lock up and backing up will free it to go forward again But it really makes a loud banging!

  3. #3cuttin edge2025-01-03 21:35

    We had a front diff done on a 950 GC, that was dropping it off at Cat, and it was close to $15000

  4. #4ovrszd2025-01-04 11:14

    Welcome to HEF. Hope you get some advice here. Let us know the outcome.

  5. #5Nige2025-01-04 12:00

    This for a B9D-prefix 140M. Procedure is easier if the machine is not equipped with a ripper. Some fairly heavy-duty lifting equipment will be required.

  6. #692U 34062025-01-04 13:41

    I've never gone as far as pulling the axle but the tandems themselves are pretty simple to remove. Definitely be easier if you had access to a crane. Pretty sure the axle and transmission share oil (may want to verify that and not take my word on it). I would consider pulling all the screens and filters to investigate how far any potential debris has made it if that's the case.

  7. #7Nige2025-01-04 13:46

    Yes they do share common oil. There are two suction screens, one of which is for the oil coming from the differential housing. That should be the first thing you inspect. On the illustration below #6 is the differential oil screen, #7 is the transmission. You can inspect them without the need to drain the oil.

  8. #8SCIearthworks2025-01-05 01:02

    Thanks guys .Nige thank you I will pull the screens and see

  9. #9SCIearthworks2025-01-05 01:06

    Thank you sir , Useful information. I don’t have a Crain or heavy lifting other then a 80,000 lb Excavator. So I think it will be going there. I’m just wondering if I need to sell a child ? Any ball park worst case cost for a reman?

  10. #10Vetech632025-01-05 07:43

    Rob a bank or 2 first, maybe sell you and your wife's prescriptions on the street corner.

  11. #11Nige2025-01-05 09:02

    If you get creative you don’t need huge lifting equipment. The procedure I posted isn’t the only way. For example you could remove the tyres separately then maybe rent a telehandler or similar to remove the tandems. Need to think outside the box a bit on this one. Take it to a dealer (how exactly.?) and you will most likely be in for an eye-watering bill. Bring a dealer person to the machine and they will be asking for the HD lifting equipment anyway. So it’s a choice of being reamed, bored, or screwed. Take your pick. A third option would be have a local independent mechanic, hopefully someone with a service truck, to do the work.

  12. #12GEORGIOS1982172025-01-05 15:42

    If you go to cat you will be very disappointed.from the money you will spend,the 1 from 5 will be in your machine. The next 4 will be air.i do the same mistake.the right move is to take a local mechanic and start to do it, no with the experience of the mechanic, with the procedure mr nige give you, tell the mechanic that we don’t need his opinion, study the procedure and tell him what to do

  13. #13cuttin edge2025-01-05 16:51

    Any good shop should be able to rebuild a rear end, set the backlash, or at the very least. remove it yourself, and send the carrier and innards to cat