Ok guys here is a good question for ya. I have been running a 14H for the last couple days and it has absolutely no heat. We have heat coming in the cab now but the fan still doesn't blow. I heat the motor turning in there, but there is no volume of air coming out of the vents. we had one of our mechanics spend most of the day trying to figure it out and he told me the heat is comparable to a "sauna" now. Well yeah its warm.... but still not blowing around too much. It's -42 degrees celcius with the windchill right now and heat is kind of a big deal. Last night I said screw it and finally pulled all the cab filters and it got a little better. We rented a 16H for the night while our was being fixed and with that thing the heater nearly blew you back into the seat. I'm just maintaining haul roads, but like I said. In this weather heat is one of those things you kind of need!
No Heat=No Fun If you can hear the motor(s) running perhaps the fan wheel(s) are loose or broken. Do they have two motors or perhaps a double shafted motor with two squirrel cage wheels? I will try to check the Cat parts manual for a 14H and see what is up? OK a quick check of the online parts manual for a 14H serial prefix ASE shows several different heater arrangements but they all seem to have one fan motor with two wheels. I think the motor may be faulty.
Has anyone opened up the heater core? If it's real dirty air won't flow through, and it's always possible a mouse has built a nest in it, though you'd be likely to smell that.
Right on Steve. Core is probably full of cigarette butts, sunflower seeds, pop cans, a glove or two, at least one safety vest, a hat, and several newspapers. Yeah, maybe a mouse nest too. Otherwise likely a mechanical problen with a passage door not opening correctly or a vent stuck in position preventing air flow. Sounds like the heater assembly will have to come all the way out and be torn down, checked out, and reinstalled.
Pullout the entire unit and disassemble. clean everything up and set the heater core on its back with the out lets facing up.Fill the heater core up with CLR and swish it back and forth.Pour the clr out into a bowl and watch the crap come out.You can reuse the clr till it comes out clean. Now check your fans for proper operation and if they check out OK reassemble the heater and reinstall.If you have been watching the weather channel you know that in manitoba we need all the heat we can get.
In another thread some mention about the seals around the doors was a possible means of heat escaping.
Ok I am going to have to forward this along to the mechanic because last night was incredible in that thing. It was only -25 out last night and I couldn't keep the windows defrosted. I had some words with the mechanic and he told me thats all the heat you normally get in any machine. The grader is fairly new, it's only got 5000hrs on it, and its our best grader since its the only 14 we have with GPS on it. On a brighter note..... I managed to buy myself some heat shacking up with one of the rock truck chicks at coffee break and lunchtime since her truck has tons of heat. They always say hoe operators get all the chicks, let's hope its not true. Or at least hopefully she knows im normally a hoe operator :drinkup
poor heat Hi Burnout; Has anyone thought to check if the shut-off on the heater hose that comes off the motor are open all the way. They may not have been turned on all the way from the summer cycle. Just a shot in the dark. mailtrain
"that's all the heat you normally get..."??? Hmmm, time to get a new mechanic! I'm going to backup egoman on this one. Take the unit out. I have had to remove seat, ecu, hcu, tons of electrical harness, cover panels, yada yada on many excavators with the same problems. Yank that heater unit out and find the heat or A/C core is completely clogged with dirt. The biggest fan in the world couldn't blow air through it! Or it could be the core innards are clogged up as noted by egoman. If so, spend a few bucks and put a heat core in it.
Yep, remove the seat, clean out all the ear plugs, survey strings, chewing gum wrappers and the rest. Very common on H series graders and no surprise they don,t like crap in all these places. Same issues in summer with A/C. At PM time i would just through every thing in the cab in the bin, the operators really liked me for that-not!! Little did they realise the favour i was doing for everybody, no breakdowns or A/C complaints for me to go to in the field and an A/C that worked for them. With so much glass and a good Aussie sun beatin down they are a bit of a sauna. Taps down on the engine i assume have been turned on? A good temp gun over the system should also id wheer it goes from hot to cold and there may be some sort of blockage there.
I talked to the mech. last night. He told me to stick it. So he and I had some choice words to follow. I asked the foreman to get him to look at it because the grader is running 24hrs a day and we have 2 operators that are cold 12hrs each. Yeah all the taps are on,the heat is plenty hot.... just no blowy blowy.
You and the other operator need to team up and put this machine out of service until it is fixed. You have a major safety issue, not only the cold temp issues, but the vision issues. If you have frosty windows and cant get them to clear up, park the pig, and refuse to run it.
Sound's like the water Valve has gone on the fritz ...
blow some compressed air back thru with the fan off and see if it moves any more air. then you will know if it is debris blocking the outer fins or if it needs rodded out or replaced. I blew out my case this summer and now I can keep warm and see when it is cold. Bill
This is just a wild shot but I've had this done done to me twice so worth mentioning. I don't know what type of blower a 14 has but if it's a squirrel cage type - a fan installed that has the wrong pitch or a motor turning in the wrong direction will blow air in the right direction and out the vents so it seems OK but efficiency will be very poor. I suffered with a pick up for 5 or 6 years before we figured it out and the difference was amazing.
14H with no heat ? Hello Burnout , Go above the mechanics head, to the Superintendant , Project Manager, Owner , whoever ,etc, to get this cured ! No excuse for this ! Here's a few items to check though. Check the Fuses ! For power supply ! Depends on your machine version,for location of the fuses, as to whether, it is the North American Model or Global version ! The Global has it on the console , others are overhead on the right . Then check that the control knobs, so that they , are not spinning on the shafts, as they have tiny set screws holding them in place. Found this to happen . Then I suppose pull off the cover and check the rheostat, for proper function. Then the electrical motor,(pull seat out ) to assure it's function, and the squirrel cages ,set screws holding them, that they are securely fastened. Finally, on the older heaters , they had an air vent (set screw) to purge the air out , from an air lock , that prevented the coolant flow. If there is not one, just loosen a hose connection and let a flow of coolant out, till a steady stream flows without bubbles. Hope you get'er fixed for operating comfort and visibility . Frosted windows are a hazard !
They still haven't really fixed the grader, but it's better than it was....... mostly due tot he fact its getting slightly warmer out. I had the doors open tonight while I was grading it was actually kind of nice. The coolant flow and actual heat isn't the problem, it's the lack of blowing from the fan. It has to be either the fan or the heater core in the cab. I stuck my hand in behind the interior cab filter and my hand came out covered in dust. As for the fuses, this is a US version, but it has both fuse panels. One in the column and another one up to te right of the operator.
I have seen this happen on a 988B, The dual shaft blower motor was replaced and they installed the squirrel cages oposite of the way they should have been. It'll sound like its moving a ton of air but its pushing it in the wrong direction so by the time it reaches the vents there is little to no air at all.
Cab Heat ? Hi Burnout, Ever get it fixed ?
I don't know, im goin to the shop today I will find out. It was a day or two after I made my last post the day shift operator was blading over some really rough ground and tore the blade up. Ripped a chunk of cutting edge off, and must have worn the heck out of the circle because the next day there was at least 3/4" of play up and down on the circle when you lowered the blade to the ground. So it's been at the shop getting a shim kit installed, with some other things. They sent us out a 160H and I got moved to a D8R then a D6R Series 3