HI Guys ! I request your help for this topic. I am trying to “dissect” a caterpillar machine in several parts.In fact I would like to know in how many different parts (main systems and components. ) I can “divide” a 16 M/ 16H motor grader. For Instance for a CAT 777 Dumper, that has several “systems”, one can focus on the:Engine, the transmission, the torque converter, the final drive, the suspension, the steering cylinder (only this one n the whole steering group), the cabin, etc... As I do not have an image or a graphic/diagram of those specific machines (16M/16H), I do not know exactly in how many system I can Divide them. Do you have any idea? Thanks PS: My goal is to draft a list of spare parts required in case of a system failure, so I am looking for those main system to focus on.
Caterpillar has always used the same system on every machine they have ever made, so I would suggest it would be easiest for you to copy that system. Their current on-line system (known as SIS) uses exactly the same method. The main systems are: - 1. Electrical & Starting System. 2. Braking System. 3. Engine and related systems (includes fuel, cooling, and air inlet & exhaust as sub-systems). 4. Frame & Body. 5. Hydraulic System. 6. Operator Station (cab, instruments, operaor seat, aircon). 7. Implements. (On a grader this includes the drawbar and circle) 8. Hydraulic System. 9. Power train (includes converter, transmission, differential, & final drives as sub-systems). 10. Service Equipment & Supplies. This includes all the filters (they are also listed in each section where they appear) plus things like the automatic lubrication system (if equipped). 11. Steering System. 12. Work Tools. Includes the blade and/or ripper plus the GET. Every section above will have sub-sections in it. I've just listed some of the common ones that occur to give examples. Some machines will not have all the sections, but if you think about it you can divide the sections of any machine you want to imagine into the above groups.
You are the best Nige thank you !!
Hi everybody! As written I am going to copy their system. But is it preferable, through S.I.S, to use the media number of a machine in order to have all its subdivision , instead of using directly the S/N and Arrangement number (even if you have to specify them after the media search)? I think the media number is much more accurate.
Depends if you have a large number of machines that are all identical, in which case I'd say use the Media Number. If you have many different machines of the same model but with minor differences from one to another then you're reduced to using Serial & Arrgt Number for each one in order to be able to generate accurate machine-specific listings for each Serial Number. That all assumes that the machines are still "As-built" by Cat. Anything that's been modified somewhere along the way and you're in a world of hurt identifying parts requirements unless someone did a very good job of documenting the modifications. That is not common in my experience.
Hi guys! I am back with some questions regarding CAT S.I.S as I did not find any answer on the F.AQ. What is the field replacement for a part number? I am searching for the part-number of an element mounted on an engine(S/N SERIAL 080) on S.I.S. When I click on an element of a system in order to dissect it, lets say the electronic control of the electrical system, I have a set of part-number, and some of them have the mention "field replacement" see this example below for more explanation. The new engine mounted is in the range S/N SERIAL100-UP. Does this mean that the part number (REF-NUMBER-ONE) above should be considered instead of REF-NUMBER-TWO? Thank you for your attention
In certain cases there are 2 Part Numbers for an item. One that the factory installs on the production line, the other one that is built for what's referred to as "Parts Service", in other words what the customer can buy from his dealer parts counter. It does not matter which one you use as a reference because the dealer will only supply the "Field Replacement" Part Number whichever one you request.
Alright thank you Nige, One more question to be sure (even if you already gave me the answer), if the engine serial number is S/N SERIAL120 (in the range S/N SERIAL100-UP), can I pick the 111-222 part-number as field replacement for 111-223? (Maybe the question is not appropriate because when I pick one of the 111-223 GP, the individual parts references are the same even if the entire Group references are different. see the example below. ) Thank you for attention
Hi guys! This message cancels my previous request. I may come back later with more details. Thank you