Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 1989 D4C brake sticking

Loudpipes66 ยท 2013-10-25 11:11

Hi. I found this forum while trying to find some information and it seemed like there is a wealth of knowledge here. I am looking at buying a used 1989 CAT D4C 5400 hours 50% undercarriage. I emailed the seller about the condition of the machine and they told me the one major problem is the right brake is sticking. I am new to dozers what could be the cause of this problem and how big of a job is it to fix it? Also when I go to inspect the machine what are some of the things I should be looking for. this machine will be used for home use not as a daily worker. Thank you for any and all help.

Replies1
  1. #1Bob/Ont2013-10-25 17:48

    The peddles are hanging on shafts behind the dash with linkage down and back to brakes. It's a bit of a job but need to take apart clean off dirt and rust then lube with grease. Might need a bearing or two at most. One other thing that was common was the brake linkage rods adjusted too long. Then when trying to adjust the brakes they always set them too tight and ripped up a brake drum, usually only one. This happened on wet clutches, dry clutches will lock up if you try running them too tight. Wet clutches have a 1/4"NPT plug in the outer walls near the final drive fill plugs. They are filled through a pair of big plugs on the top covers. One side carrys more oil than the other so don't be alarmed. When adjusted and working right the machines will steer with a light toe pressure running on a hard surface. Later Bob