Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 2015 277D water temp sensor location?

Chester Michael · 2023-06-29 10:34

The parts guy said this sensor is there in front of me when I open the engine door. I don't see it , I can hear my mothers voice in my head saying its in front of your face, I am standing here looking. Gentlemen where is this sensor! The machines engine coolant temp. display will intermittently dissappear and the word faulted will suddenly appear only to vanish quickly. CMTFarmer

Replies23
  1. #1Nige2023-06-29 11:01

    Serial Number please. There are 3 different options of 277D and although they might be the same regarding this sensor there’s no point in assuming that they are….

  2. #2Chester Michael2023-06-29 12:24

    FMT00605. Thanks for the reply.

  3. #3Nige2023-06-29 12:35

    If what I’m seeing in the attachment is correct then the sensor should be in the cylinder head at the far end on the LH side of the engine as you look at it from the open rear door.

  4. #4Chester Michael2023-06-29 15:14

    Nige. Thank you very much I can barely touch the sensor much less change it out. Am I correct that this sensor varies resistance with temperature (thermistor) When it faults intermittently does this explain my machines symptoms? The hydraulics disabled, parking brake ON, fuel shutting OFF I will need to get some longer arms ro change the bad sensor. Again Thanks CMT

  5. #5Nige2023-06-29 15:21

    I seriously doubt it.

  6. #6Chester Michael2023-06-30 05:27

    Nige Do you know what input into this machines ECM that would cause these problems? I'm operating fine mowing pastures with my 6 foot Brushcuttet on the front, high flow, high rpms, hours into the job, engine temp and hydr. temp both middle of green. When I slam to a Stop, parking brake ON (light lit), hydraulics disabled (light lit), engine stutters to a stop.I have a video of the engines temperature digital gauge flicker out and Faulted displayed very briefly. I turn the key Off and back to On it starts and runs fine for a few minutes or seconds. What components do I change? The CAT dealer has had the machine twice the past month put 7hrs on it driving around their property (No Codes) they say (No Problem Found) What do you suggest, I am confused and now out over 1 thousand dollars paid for them to have not fixed or replaced anything. Any ideas or suggestions? CMT

  7. #7Nige2023-06-30 07:07

    Consider yourself lucky. We have another poster with a dozer that is currently out $12,000 and still no fix. Nothing until we figure out exactly what's wrong with it. From your description of the symptoms it is either an intermittent electrical fault somewhere or an electronic component that is in the early stages of failure. But fear not. We will get there........... I'm not saying I don't believe the dealer but with your symptoms the diagnostic system should have registered something at some point. Even if it was a coolant temp sensor that was starting to fail it ought to leave a trace somewhere. Question: Does your RH panel look like the image below.? If not please post a photo of what you actually have.

  8. #8Chester Michael2023-06-30 07:50

    Nigw It looks the same visually but the displayed info of crossed tools and camera I don't see when I press the bottom buttons. CMT

  9. #9Nige2023-06-30 08:07

    Let's see if I can make it clearer. There are two options for the RH side controls. Is your machine equipped with a display more like the 1st or the 2nd illustration.?

  10. #10Chester Michael2023-06-30 08:09

    It maybe that the display is simply programed differently. CMT

  11. #11Nige2023-06-30 09:40

    OK, when the machine is in operation does the RH digital screen look somewhat like this.? If it does please can you take a photo of the screen on your machine (from reasonably close up) with the key ON, engine NOT running.

  12. #12Chester Michael2023-06-30 15:05

    Display #2 I will take a picture when I get home. Thank you Nige

  13. #13Nige2023-06-30 16:25

    Can you make sure that you get the bottom of the screen well in focus please, because the function of each of the 6 soft keys directly underneath the digital screen are indicated by the icon that appears directly above each of them on the screen. You do have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for the machine I take it.?

  14. #14Chester Michael2023-07-01 15:48

    Nige I do have the operation & maintenance manual, find here the pics you asked for. There were NO active alarms and NO logged alarms.

  15. #15Chester Michael2023-07-01 15:49

    Here is another view

  16. #16Nige2023-07-01 18:22

    I must admit to being a bit mystified. If something like you describe in your OP (machine coming to a sudden stop, no hydraulics, etc) then in my mind surely it should log some sort of Event or Diagnostic Code. They don't do that for no reason. Did you attempt to go further into the Events/Alarms menu beyond what is shown in your first photo to look at anything that was Logged.? You have the advantage over me here because I've never had to work my way through the menus on this type of display and am not sure what's where and how exactly to get into it.

  17. #17crewchief8882023-07-01 18:50

    wonder if the issue may be being caused by a bad ground? seems like a LOT of modern electronics are very sensitive to their ground. ive seen many times some minor corrosion, or "slightly" loose wire will let a machine start and run, and suddenly all functions cut out, but no coed is generated. im not familiar with that specific machine, so i may be talking outta my ass.

  18. #18Nige2023-07-01 19:10

    A good suggestion that is worth looking into IMHO. Especially the grounds on the cylinder block that are a known problem area.

  19. #19Chester Michael2023-07-01 19:29

    I went back to mowing our bottom pasture, I got 1.1hrs into it before the problem repeated. I removed the hi-flow plug no help, uncoupled the mower no help, temps all in the green, I sat still idling same problem no help, if I lift the left arm bar I see the seat icon bar down it goes away. I wonder if the fuel shut-off solenoid is going bad,when it gets hot it let's go, the engine begins to die and the ECM recognizes the solenoid off and applies the brake and turns off the hydraulics? I don't know I am grasping I wish I understood the inputs and outputs of this engine. Thank you for the help offered it helps to have a more experienced brain alongside. CMT

  20. #2092U 34062023-07-01 20:58

    Stuff like the door switch or armrest switch will do what you describe and will not set a fault code or event. I'd start checking the adjustment of those switches and the wiring associated with them.

  21. #2192U 34062023-07-01 20:59

    Also, I don't believe that model has a fuel solenoid. It should be high pressure common rail IIRC.

  22. #22Nige2023-07-02 04:09

    Easy way to eliminate the door switch. Go behind the seat at floor level and disconnect the wiring harness for the door. Then install the jumper that should be zip-tied to the machine harness at that point - that’s there for when the machine is run with the door off. See if the problem still continues.

  23. #23Nige2023-07-02 09:57

    The connector I'm talking about is marked "CONN 16" in the illustration below.