Hi…I have a 2018 249D with 3002 hours. I recently had the 5838-14 fault code come up (Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Malfunction Special Instruction). I read the O&M manual, bought a couple gaskets and performed the cleaning as described in the manual. The last step is to connect the electronic service tool to reset the maintenance timer. The machine starts and idles but the engine is derated as described in the manual. I’ve been trying to get the local Cat dealer to do the reset for a week but they won’t return my calls. Is there a device or hardware/software I can buy to do the reset myself?
Stuff related to emissions usually requires the dealer software to reset. Good news is a lot of folks have Cat ET. Could try calling a few independent shops. Even truck shops that work on Cat truck engines could probably do it. Cat Rental Store should have ET as well.
Were you requesting a service call at your place or planning on taking the machine to the dealer.? If it was the former then is transporting the machine to the dealer shop an option.?
Seemed like a service call would be the easiest (I’d left messages with field service) but maybe next step is to load it up and take it in for service. I’ll try again today. Thanks.
If everything goes according to plan (fingers crossed) then the process should take no more than 30 minutes. Maybe taking the machine to them might be the better option.
Thanks…waiting for a return call from “shop” service now.