Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 215B Final Leak New Style Sprocket

SoILfarmer ยท 2020-06-10 16:33

Cat 215B Serial 9YB01522 It has a new small leak on the outside of the sprocket at final drive. This final and complete undercarriage was recently replaced and updated. 1st Question: is this small leak on the OUTSIDE of the sprocket caused by the duo cone seal? 2nd Question: how should I address the leak/seep On a side not this appears to be the new style sprocket that was the topic of a thread from 2012 titled Cat 215 sprocket removal

Replies8
  1. #1mitch5042020-06-10 22:47

    If I remember right, there is an o-ring under that plate, but I don't have a parts book here, and the only SIS I have is a horse trainer, and would just look at me blankly if I asked her. I'm sure one of the guys with access to the right SIS will be along shortly.

  2. #2Tyler d4c2020-06-10 23:54

    You need one 5H-8624 boring it appears.

  3. #3SoILfarmer2020-06-11 09:56

    Thanks Tyler. Although this may be the skematic for the serial number, does it match the updated style sprocket/hub adapter actually on the machine? If so I may not be looking at the picture correctly?

  4. #4Tyler d4c2020-06-11 10:03

    You caught me in the wrong it doesn't show the outer bolts on the plate when I get a chance I'll study it a bit

  5. #5Dave Neubert2020-06-11 17:10

    the only place that has a o ring is on the end cap held on by the large bolt if it is leaking from the seal it should bet wet on the other side of the sprocket too

  6. #6Nige2020-06-12 16:49

    OK, here's the illustration that accompanies the 1993 Service Magazine SEPD0186 announcing the new sprocket mounting parts. No O-Ring, and I can't find any documentation anywhere indicating one was added at a later date. I guess what's really required is to do some cleaning in order to determine exactly where the oil is leaking from. Is it from between the sprocket (#1) and the collar (#7), as indicated by the red arrow, or from between the Cap (#2) and the Collar (#7) as indicated by the blue arrow.? What also gets my attention is that the drawing below show a distinct gap between the collar and the sprocket (area of the red arrow) but the OP's photo seems to show that there isn't a gap like that on this particular machine, unless it's full of mud - back to that cleaning deal again.

  7. #7SoILfarmer2020-06-12 19:32

    Gap is present with some mud making it hard to see. I will clean area, operate machine, observe exact point of leak in near future. Thanks

  8. #8mitch5042020-06-12 22:58

    I thought sure I had seen an oring where the blue arrow is, but not a 9YB.