Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 225 breakout force

Cort · 2024-06-24 13:52

We just bought a later model 225 excavator, started digging a pond with it and it seems to have a really low breakout force for the size of it. Was wondering if something could be causing it. Supposedly it has newer pumps

Replies15
  1. #1Coaldust2024-06-24 14:42

    Welcome to the HEF. Looks like a decent machine. I look forward to seeing how your project turns out. There are many different and expensive reasons why your 40 year old hoe is low on power. Even finding someone, still in the workforce, that is familiar with them, will be a challenge. I started my dealership career in that time frame and they were rapidly being replaced by the 300 series. Not sayin’ they are a bad machine. But, their time in the sun has come and gone. Just like me.

  2. #2Coaldust2024-06-24 14:43

    First thing I would do is check the engine RPM and make sure the high idle is correct.

  3. #3Nige2024-06-24 16:06

    Doesn't mean a lot I'm afraid. If you want specs you'll need to quote a Serial Number. It will need someone with a VERY old copy of the Cat Performance Handbook.

  4. #4Nige2024-06-24 16:07

    IMHO the first thing would be to get hold of a Service Manual so that you actually HAVE all the specs.

  5. #5Coaldust2024-06-24 16:33

    There you go, being sensible again.

  6. #6Cort2024-06-24 18:06

    I know it's an old machine, rpm sounds a little low but not sure if it is or not and the serial number is 76U04172.

  7. #7Coaldust2024-06-24 18:22

    They are a heavy and slow dog, if you compare it to a modern machine.

  8. #8Cort2024-06-24 18:25

    Yea kinda figured that was going to be the outcome but I figured I'd see if it was something that could be remedied.

  9. #9Coaldust2024-06-24 18:31

    Sure, you can tune her up. Check the pressures, pump case drain, flow meter, cycle times. Use a stop watch and check cycle times. That will tell you 80% of what you want to know.

  10. #10Coaldust2024-06-24 18:36

    Or, hire someone to check it out before you purchase so you don’t end up with a lawn ornament and 50 gallons of 10wt in your backyard. There are at least ten recent threads about broken 200 series machines that home owners purchased for a good deal and had buyers remorse and a permanent oil stain in their yard. I’m sure, your machine will break that trend and you will be able to sell it after the project for twice what you paid. I’m pulling for you!

  11. #11Cort2024-06-24 18:45

    It's been decent to us cleared trees and burnt alot of brush doesn't have much for leaks this is our first time really making it work. I mean we've been through a few hoses but so far that's it. We probably will do some pressure testing. Have a pro tune it up if we go that route.

  12. #12Cort2024-06-24 18:46

    Probably won't sell it. it can be a backup for when we don't want a shiny newer one going down in a pond

  13. #13Coaldust2024-06-24 20:22

    Good structure for your future large school of home grown bass.

  14. #14Nige2024-06-25 05:31

    Built January 1984. So quite a late one. Here is a link to a Parts Manual on eBay . Not bad at $20 inc shipping. I looked all over but could not find a Serivce Manual - Pub. Ref. REG01578. Regarding operating specs such as breakout force, etc, you will need someone with a Caterpillar Performance Handbook Edition 14 or 15.

  15. #15Nige2024-06-25 10:25

    Actually it's in Edition 9........ See attachment. You are lucky you have a European-built 225 with a 3304 engine. The US-built ones had a 3208.