Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 226B HF with log-splitter

cat951 ยท 2014-03-14 09:30

hello, I would like to build a log-splitter and run it using the quick-connect hydraulic couplings of my Caterpillar 226b High Flow skid. Does anyone know the hydraulic flow and max pressure of this auxiliary hydraulic system? The pressure is adjustable? I would power through the quick-connect hydraulic couplings an external distributor for control from the ground the log splitter. The loader has a function to continuously feed the hydraulic outlets. What I would like to build is a tool similar to this: http://woodridge.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/splitter1.jpg http://cdn3.volusion.com/fhre9.ydgc6/v/vspfiles/photos/ET-SPLITTER-01-2.jpg Can I do it with my skid steer loader? A medium-low speed, I can have a good performance in your opinion? At what speed is set the idle speed of the 226b engine? Do you have any advice for me? Thank you very much look forward to replies!

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies8
  1. #1cat9512014-03-16 03:46

    Hello! Anybody help me? Another question: how do you activate the hydraulic high flow?

  2. #2stovein2014-03-16 10:01

    Certainly your machine will run it well, mine has a 4 inch diameter cylinder and is low flow. I run it at 1000-1200 rpm and it is adequate. Could be a little faster I guess , 15 seconds out and back in and I would prefer 10. I have never cared for the splitters with the wedge on the ram since as you split the block you have to throw it, if you put the wedge on the end of the beam and a small table on each side the split blocks will either lie there for resplitting or the next chunk will push them off into the pile or conveyor. Just my opinion though. Have no idea how to turn on your continuous flow though.

  3. #3Mobiltech2014-03-16 10:27

    The 226B High flow will pump 26 GPM and relief is set at 3300 psi. In order to use this on a skid steer you need to disable the seat and armrest switches so that you could be outside the cab and still have the hydraulics working. The skid steer would probably run this fast enough down to half throttle even.

  4. #4d9gdon2014-03-16 11:01

    I like this one better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EOO6W5R1O8 Now that's how you split wood. Maybe it'll give you some design ideas.

  5. #5tmc_312014-03-16 12:08

    I really like that splitter too. I especially like that the cylinder is located on top of the beam and not quite as close to the dirt. Last year a friend of my son in law gave us an old home made splitter that the engine was shot on. It has a 5X30 cylinder with a 2" shaft. Right now, the way we have been using it is we hook up my skid aux circuit to the splitter cylinder bypassing the motor and pump. I sit in the cab of the skid and operate the splitter while my son in law loads the bucked logs. The only problem is it is not long before he is wore smooth out:beatsme. My plan is to salvage the beam and cylinder and build a splitter similar to the one shown in the video. My hope is that it will save some wear and tear on the SIL Tim

  6. #6stovein2014-03-16 16:04

    That splitter was built and developed in Two Harbors,Mn and sells for the mid 20 thousands though.

  7. #7Steve Frazier2014-03-17 04:10

    Does the 226 not have an override option for the hydraulics? On my 248 you can activate the hydraulics to flow constantly and then click the override switch to exit the machine with the hydraulics running. This is how I'm able to run my backhoe attachment. If it's not installed, perhaps it's an option?

  8. #8Mobiltech2014-03-17 21:42

    Yes I see it does have a continuous flow switch or override option. Its the top right of the cab second switch from the rear. Interlock Override - The interlock override allows the auxiliary hydraulic circuits to function with the armrest in the RAISED position. First activate the continuous flow control that is located on the left side joystick. Refer to the section "Joystick and Auxiliary Hydraulic Controls" for detailed information. Press the bottom of the interlock override switch. This will activate the interlock override function. In order to turn off the interlock override and continuous flow, press the bottom of the switch again.