Hi all, New member from Perth Western Australia and first post. It is very hard to find information on CAT machines. There seems to be lots of conflicting opinions and in general people just adding unhelpful comments on other sites. This Forum has already been very helpful. Thankyou. The current issue I'm facing is the yellow alert flashing and a constant red hydraulic warning light. The machine moves backwards and forwards and the hydraulic quick hitch works. The lift arms and bucket tilt do not operate. I've also noticed that the starting buzzer does not come on and it is more difficult to start although this may be unrelated. I have checked all the usual culprits so am wondering if anyone has a list of all the things that can trigger those lights and I can then work through them one by one. I have only the standards panel (not Advanced) so can't get fault codes. I do have a second parts machine which is missing a lot of stuff but does have the Advanced panel which I will swap across if I can't find the problem without codes. Thanks in advance to anyone able to help.
G’day & welcome. Post some photos of the warning lights along with a machine Serial Number to get things started. You’re going to need an Operation and Maintenance Manual sooner rather than later. Post a photo of the panel on your parts machine and maybe the Serial Number of that one as well. I’m not sure it’s a plug and play for the AD. Need to check.
It would be alot easier if you had a way to see if what the codes are. Is there anyone around that has CAT ET or aftermarket diagnostic software? I'm not sure if you can read codes from the standard panel. You could look at the wiring harness on the boom all the way up to on the firewall. See if there is anywhere that it is obvious that it is damaged. There is wiring and solenoids on the firewall that if damaged the arms and bucket won't work.
Hi Nige and Mr Wrench. The yellow Is flashing and the red hydraulic alert is on constantly. Photo below. I already have a copy of the manual but it is written at a very high level so helpful with easy things but not things that are a bit trickier or unusual. I have already checked the door, seat and arm switches and gone over all the wiring harnesses for abrasion or damage. And, checked the fuses, fusible links and relays. (Side question which way up do 4 pin relays go? The manual doesn't say. I installed them the same way they were but searched for images and people seem to have them in a mixture of orientations.) I have also read two posts on here about changing the display panel on a CAT 299C and CAT 272D (to which you, Nige responded) and partly took mine apart to check if I could do the same. Looks to be interchangeable to me. I'll have to get the serial numbers from the machines. Thanks.
For some reason the photo is not uploading. It is light number 7 that looks like a vertically oriented constantly on red hydraulic cylinder directly under light number 1 which is the flashing yellow .
So... I just changed over to the Advanced Display. Forgot to mention that it is fairly difficult to remove the right side switch panel. Possibly because the plastic is old and stiff. Anyway, it had a few codes but they disappeared after a few seconds and it seems to work perfectly now. I don't actually know what the problem was, but if it comes back I'll let everyone know. Now I'm going to see if I can get the camera hooked up.
Strange. An Operation & Maintenance Manual should at least contain a description of what the warning lights mean. OEM or not.? If it is OEM what is the Cat Publication reference.? This is the photo. The Red icon is the Implement Lockout. When this is active the warning icon above it will also light up. You must have had the lockout switch activated for some reason then inadvertently turned it back on again. Classic case of 2 wrongs making a right.
The manual is OEM but only gives you the basics. Very happy it works. Back to work tomorrow. Just wondering if you have any knowledge on how to test the reversing camera? The Advanced Display does not detect it. I have checked the wiring on the machine. Pin 2 and pin 4 earthed and pin 3 has 14V. Pin 1 I believe is supposed to be the video signal.
Supply a machine Serial Number and the appropriate electrical schematic can be located.
Sorry, I meant to take a photo of it today. I'll be back next weekend and will do it then.
Hi all, curiosity got the better of me so after further testing I found the initial problem. The hydraulic lock out switch had developed a fault. When switched into the normal run position it was still locked out. But, if you applied just the tiniest bit of pressure to the switch (in the same direction) and held it that way it would switch out of lock-out mode. I must have pressed on the switch in this way when I was holding it to test it initially. Anyway, if anyone has similar symptoms it is a very easy check to do, just to rule it out Thanks.