Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 236B power/fuel issue

Minion Master ยท 2025-02-28 20:03

I have a 2016 236B skid steer with a fuel system issue. 1st started having power problem. After 10-15 min of full throttle hard working it starts loosing power and the rpms decrease to what sounds like idle even though throttle still full on. Smokes white smoke and in most cases it will eventually shut down. I have over several months changed injectors, tested by removing air filter while condition exists, changed fuel filter and housing with new electric pump. Narrowed down to when it happens I can remove the fuel filter and hear a gurgling sound put back on and start up and runs with full power very good like new for about 10-15 min and repeat. I ran with fuel cap off thinking it wasnt venting but still same. Help

Replies6
  1. #1Minion Master2025-02-28 20:05

    CAT0236BKHEN03823

  2. #2Nige2025-02-28 20:31

    You appear to have fired the Parts Cannon at the most expensive end of the fuel system first. Did you try cleaning the fuel tank of water/sediment (what about the tank cap breather?) or blowing through the fuel suction line back to the tank with compressed air.? Is the attachment a fair reflection of what your fuel line setup looks like.?

  3. #3Minion Master2025-02-28 20:40

    I have blew compressed air back to tank. No change. I removed fuel cap thinking same about vent but did not change the condition. Yes pdf is same as mine

  4. #4Minion Master2025-02-28 20:43

    Only action consistently has pos. result is to just slightly break seal of fuel filter and put right back up and secure then full power for few minutes of work.

  5. #5Nige2025-02-28 21:05

    That sounds very much like something blocked or air-locked to me. When you replaced the fuel filter housing (I assume you're talking about the head.?) did you re-use all the screw-in fittings for the fuel lines.? Was each one cleaned out before installing.? Apart from that I recall at least one T-fitting in the fuel lines. Have you disassembled the lines at that point for a look.?

  6. #6ThreeCW2025-03-01 00:37

    Here are a few fuel problem threads on some CAT skid steers. Not the same machine as yours, but the threads may give you some trouble shooting ideas. HeavyEquipmentForums Cat 246 Won't Start I can't get my Cat 246 (5SZ00786) to start. It turns over, but it just cranks. Prior to this, it was running just fine - no issues. I did refuel it last time it was running (I refueled it while running since I use the machine's battery to power my diesel pump), but it's the same diesel I've been... HeavyEquipmentForums Cat 226B Skid - Starving for Fuel I have a 1017hr 2014 CAT 226B3 serial MWD06162. It starts and idles ok, but after a few minutes of running it struggles and dies when trying to give it mid to high throttle. I have replaced the gas cap, mechanical fuel pump, fuel water separator housing and filter, inline tank filter and cleaned... HeavyEquipmentForums As Nige suggests, it appears you may be having a fuel plugging issue. From the diagram that Nige included, it looks like you have an electric priming pump as part of your filter assembly. I'm an not sure how your electric priming pump is activated, but one way to check if any part of the fuel supply system is plugged or restricted is to disconnect the fuel transfer line from the priming pump to the to the injection pump and see if an unrestricted amount of fuel is being delivered. I am thinking that you don't want to run the injection pump dry, so you might want to hot wire in the electric priming pump to test the fuel supply system. As outlined in one of the threads above, I was able to test my fuel supply system using my manual priming pump and troubleshoot my plugging problem.