Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 246 – Big Oops: Dropped Tubing Into Hydraulic Tank

01Time · 2020-05-19 11:02

I was topping off the hydraulic oil in my machine this morning, and I realized the funnel I had was not going to reach the fill cap. So I used some flexible tubing I had (1" wide, 12" long - thin plastic with a rubber end) and connected it to my funnel. I was able to fill up the tank, but just as I moved the funnel out, the tubing came off and fell into the tank! I tried to fish it out with the longest pliers I had but I was unsuccessful. I had to leave it and go to work, but I will be stopping on the way home so I can buy the longest needle nose pliers or forceps I can find and hopefully fish it out. Here's a photo of the tubing. I cut about a foot of it to use, so one end has the rubber connector and the other is cut. Assuming I am unable to get it out, what are the dangers of leaving it in there at least until the next time I have service done on it?

Replies6
  1. #1heymccall2020-05-19 11:25

    If it's a 5SZ plain 246, it won't harm anything.

  2. #201Time2020-05-19 11:38

    It is (5SZ00786). That's what I was thinking, but I'm so mad at myself for letting it happen!

  3. #3heymccall2020-05-19 11:40

    There ain't no way that it'll get past the inlet screen (#7), assuming the screen is still there.

  4. #4Welder Dave2020-05-19 11:41

    I'd be worried the rubber would deteriorate over time with the hot oil.

  5. #5highwayghost2020-05-19 11:46

    Make a hook on a coat hanger to fish it up, then maneuver it with the pliers to bring it back through the hole.

  6. #6hosspuller2020-05-19 11:48

    Get a flexible claw … Mine has saved me much aggravation several times. Great for non-magnetic items.