Hello, A couple weeks ago, the parking brake switch started to behave inconsistently (sometimes unlocking first try, sometimes taking dozens of tries). Since yesterday, the yellow/orange warning sign stays blinking and the red sign for the bucket and the (P) red sign for the parking brake stay on, despite pressing the switch an inordinate amount of times. If anyone has ever had a similar experience, I would appreciate it if you could share how you diagnosed it, what turned out to be the problem, and how you solved it. I don't have error codes, so just general knowledge or troubleshooting tips would help, and then I will see what I can do. A similar problem occurred with this machine about 4 months ago, wherein upon pressing the parking brake switch, the parking brake light would stay on but the bucket did respond to the switch and unlocked successfully. The left joystick was replaced then and the problem was solved, until now.
Can you post a machine Serial Number and do you have any way of accessing Diagnostic Codes.?
Serial number is CAT0246CCJAY01229 Unfortunately I can't access the codes, as this particular machine doesn't come with the RH display. I checked the CAT website for the price of the 264-8861 part (Which I believe is the display panel that gives error codes), now called 346-6636, and according to the website, the closest CAT dealer sells it for USD 4300 . Something tells me that paying for CAT techs to visit me and fix the issue would cost something similar. Here's a photo of the LH panel, just to illustrate what I described in the post. Yellow sign stays blinking, other two signs stay on. So in summary, I can't get the machine to release the parking brake and the bucket control.
Unlikely to cost that much in your location. Labour isn't that expensive in Argentina. I know. I worked there......... Do you have any local independent mechanics who have cat ET.? It's not limited to dealers. They key is the red icon on the bottom row. That indicates the Work Tool System is locked out. I think this is maybe where you need to be looking. It's a malfunction of the bucket control lockout that is preventing the parking brake from releasing. EDIT: Do you have an electrical schematic.?
I do not have the schematics no. I found one online that was supposedly for the 246C but some wire numbers didn't match, if I recall correctly.
Check your message inbox.
Thank you. With the schematic I was able to confirm what the different contacts within the park brake switch were, and measured that the NC did not have continuity. With a jumper wire between the corresponding NC pins, the switch worked fine and I got no warning sign and was able to unlock park brake and bucket. So I took out the switch, cleaned it thoroughly and put it back. Machine works perfectly for now.
Excellent. A "no parts required" fix is always good. However I think you may have to budget for a new swtich at some point in the not too distant future.