Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 246D wiring question.

Kenmcal · 2024-11-29 19:46

Hi all new to the sight I recently bought a 246D skidloader that had an electrical fire behind the cab. The harnesses was not damaged to bad till the person I bought it from butchered all the wiring harnesses behind the cab. I noticed the wires are numbered I am hoping I can find a wiring diagram and figure out how to repair the harnesses. Cat wants over 5k for new harnesses. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Kenny

Replies16
  1. #1reganj2024-11-29 20:36

    Machine serial number will get you some good answers.

  2. #2Kenmcal2024-11-29 21:04

    reganj Thanks here is the serial number. CAT0246DABYF04380

  3. #3Nige2024-11-29 22:10

    I’ll send you an electrical schematic for that S/N. Keep an eye on your message inbox. On the schematic you will find every wire identified by both number and colour.

  4. #4Kenmcal2024-11-29 23:03

    Nige you are awesome thank you.

  5. #5Kenmcal2024-11-30 18:45

    I looked through the schematic It is going to take some time but I am confident I can do it with the schematic you provided. Thank you so much.

  6. #6Kenmcal2025-01-05 13:25

    Hi all. So, I have been painstakingly working through the wiring harness. I am near completion. I haven't attempted to start it yet though I am confident it would start. I am probably going to try it today. It will powerup with a bunch of error codes for all of the hydraulic connections that are not hooked up yet. But I got all the engine codes cleared. A big thanks for everyone's input on this so far. I am planning on reinstalling the hydraulic pumps and valves soon as they were all taken apart as well. So, if anyone has a hydraulic schematic for this machine or even some pictures under and behind the cab, I sure would appreciate a share. It has been a grueling prosses, but it's been kind of fun and rewarding at the same time. Thanks in advance Kenny

  7. #7Nige2025-01-05 14:16

    Check your message inbox.

  8. #8Kenmcal2025-01-05 16:42

    Got it thank you.

  9. #9Kenmcal2025-01-05 16:48

    Well it fired up seems to run well. I will tackle the hydraulic system next. I only paid $6000 for the machine. I have a couple hundred dollars in repairing the harness I did it right quality crimp connectors heat shrink etc. and I suspect a few hundred more in hoses and it should be ready to go.

  10. #10Kenmcal2025-02-09 17:47

    Hi again all. So I need some more advice. I have the skid loader up and running the only code I have left is for the auto level system. The problem I am having is in the hydraulic system I can lift the loader arms but I cant lower and I can curl the bucket but no dump. I don't have any codes for any of those. So I am thinking I have failed solenoid valves the coils are still working but the valves have failed. Any thoughts?

  11. #11Nige2025-02-09 18:00

    Can you post a photo of the display in the upper RH corner of the cab. Let’s see if you can access electronic parameters.

  12. #12Kenmcal2025-02-09 18:20
  13. #13Kenmcal2025-02-09 18:22

    The picture was before I had the hydraulics hooked up that's why it is showing failed on the two gauges.

  14. #14Nige2025-02-09 18:32

    Great. You have the all-singing, all-dancing Advanced Display. Use the procedure attached and take a look at Active/Logged Diagnostc Codes and Active/Logged Events. Use the attachment to help you navigate the service menus. The button to access the menus is on one directly below the gearwheel icon in the bottom RH corner of the screen. BTW you really need to get hold of an Operation & Maintenance Manual. Cat Publication SEBU9084. Here's a link to one on eBay

  15. #15Kenmcal2025-02-09 20:02

    Thanks again if I ever get this damn thing fully operational it will be because of. you.

  16. #16Kenmcal2025-02-22 17:58

    Well good news all I found out the two functions that were not working was unplugged at the sialoid. So all is good I just need to repair the hoses running to the hydraulic quick coupler and she's fully functional again. Thanks to everyone. Especially you Nige I couldn't have done this without your help.