Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 247 lost all hydraulics

Dirt Surgeon ยท 2023-05-09 19:10

Hey guys. Any help is much appreciated. My cat 247 was having issues recently having weak lift arm function. Everything else worked fine. Today we were running the machine and lost all hydraulics all of a sudden. The hydraulic fan isn't spinning either. I pulled the pump away from the engine and the coupling seems to be fine. At least the teeth seem fine. Very Little wear. Any suggestions?

Replies14
  1. #1Dirt Surgeon2023-05-09 19:44

    @Nige

  2. #2Zewnten2023-05-09 20:11

    Serial number? Have you checked pressures?

  3. #3heymccall2023-05-09 20:13

    Which splines? The splines in #1 give out, IIRC.

  4. #4Nige2023-05-09 20:29

    Did you lose drive to the wheels at the same time as losing implements and the fan stopping.? If you did then the coupling #1 as indicated above by HMC is what's failed. Serial Number is always good to correctly identify parts.

  5. #5Dirt Surgeon2023-05-09 21:24

    CML00475 is serial number. Yes lost everything at same time. But about a week ago my lift arms got super weak. I was thinking stuck relief valve. Then today this happened. So I pulled it apart and the teeth on number 5 and number one in the above picture look fine. How do I tell if the coupler has failed and not my pump. No I have not checked pressure.

  6. #6Dirt Surgeon2023-05-09 21:30

    Yes. Lost drive/implement/fan all at once. How do I tell if the coupler failed? It looks fine to me. As in no unusual wear on teeth. And allen bolt isn't sheared.

  7. #7Dirt Surgeon2023-05-09 21:31

    Splines in #1 and # 5 look fine. I pulled them apart earlier.

  8. #8Nige2023-05-09 21:36

    Do you have enough space to remove the hub #5.? If you can remove it then stick it into #1 and try to turn #5 by hand. TBH losing drive, implements, & fan at the same time is generally an indication of a failed coupling. Furthermore if in the unlikely event that it is the pump you would be mad not to install a new coupling at the same time as you replaced said pump.

  9. #9Dirt Surgeon2023-05-09 21:43

    I have hub #5 off. I will attempt to stick it in #1 tomorrow and let you know. If it is the pump would I replace both the tandem pump as well as the smaller charge pump on the front? What is both of their functions?

  10. #10Nige2023-05-09 21:51

    See the attached for an explanation of how the hydrostatic drive system, main/pilot implement hydraulic system, and fan system operate.

  11. #11bobatack2023-05-10 06:49

    Nige might say otherwise IIRC then item #5 can become loose on shaft and slide far enough endways to disengage from item #

  12. #12Nige2023-05-10 09:17

    That is a possibility but I think the OP said the screw was tight. Worth checking though.

  13. #13Dirt Surgeon2023-05-10 21:32

    I didn't get a chance to get by the machine today. I went ahead and ordered a new flange, coupler and bolt. Hopefully I'll have time to install it tomorrow. I'll let yall know. Thank you for your help.

  14. #14Dirt Surgeon2023-06-01 19:08

    Hey guys thanks for all the help. It ended up being the charge pump that mounts to the front of the twin piston pump. The pump failed and locked up, shaft sheared in two. So I ended up replacing the coupling anyway while i had it apart. And Installed a new charge pump and good to go.