Hey guys. We are looking at buying a kid steer for farm work (we have a horse farm). The machine in question is a 247b2. I wanted to know what you guys think of them. I have looked at a lot of different machines for the one, (Cat 236, Case 1845c, Deere 320d, Takeuchi TL8 etc). But I think I have found the machine. Does anyone have any horror stories, or any good ones? Any help is appreciated thanks. John Gibson
There are pros and cons to every machine depending on your point of view. The CAT 247B2 is a good machine as long as it is maintained - just like any other. We have a 247B, 236, and 256C. All have been used at some point for corral cleanup, hay handling, fencing, . . The 247 tracks will give you the ability to do what you want whenever you want. The rubber tired machines will work against you I wet weather as they will leave ruts, and tear up your pastures and corrals when wet. If you maintain your tracks and keep them clear of drried mud, they will last you a long time. Also keep your tight pivot turns to a minimum. We still have our original tracks on an almost 10 yo 247 as it has been in soil conditions probably 80% of the time. We use the tire machines for rougher construction applications. Hopefully it has a cab as you will appreciate it in dry windy conditions doing cleanup chores.
We have found the track system on the 247b and ASV/terex to be idea for what we need on the horse farms. I have spent most of my time on ASV/terex machines but was using a 247b2 on a job a few months ago and found it nice and smooth to operate and well balanced. They perform especially well in wet/soft conditions and will go where most other machines won't. Sand is no problem either, just keep an eye on the tracks and make sure they clean out properly. Also as PDG said, the track system is preferred on pasture etc, where as wheels make a mess and more so with the wrong operator. Stability on slopes is another positive. I would definitely recommend one for a horse farm.
I think the 247 from an undercarriage perspective is about as good as it gets from an MTL. The weight of the CAT closes matches the comparable ASV machine that it was actually designed for. My only issue would that the undercarriage is expensive to maintain. I would think that life on horse farm would be pretty easy duty (hopefully), but at some point it will need attention. A commercial horse farm that generates income would be better, but if this is a hobby farm, you could not give me an MTL based machine. The repairs will come from out of pocket and your hands will be bloody from reaching deep in them. The MTL is by far more comfortable to run, they ride better and they are quiet, but that comfort gets expensive. You might want to investigate undercarriage costs before you pull the trigger. I would determine if you really need tracks. If you can get along with tires, that would be the most economical way to go. A CTL (like the Takeuchi you demoed) is more durable (by far) but not as comfortable and still the undercarriage will need to attention. Good luck.
If you are climbing in and out of the machine a lot I have found the cat and the bobcat machines tough to jump in and out of, also if you are changing buckets/bale spears, forks etc, the machines cat machines with cab doors make that tricky unless the machine is on flat ground....jump out, release the qiuck attach handles, jump in, shut the door, lower boom enough to get new attachment, hook up attachment, lower it enough to open door....engage quick attach...oops boom is to low....get back in shut door.....on and on. this is my opinion...otherwise operating the cat machine is great the pilot controls are nice and the ASV/Cat track style on the 247 is really soft on your kiester. The sight lines backing these machines up is a little tough if you will be inside in a barn or stall area. AS far as visibility in a machine goes, I am huge fan of the Newholland super boom series or the John deeres as well. good luck !
Thanks! I love the vertical lift on the deeres, but i a 257 is a bit big so I will have to live with the radial lift lol. The one I am looking at has a hydraulic quick attach so that wont be as much of the problem. I see what your saying with the visibilty though,
hydraulic quick attach is really nice, and the vertical lift on the deeres and NH machines is handy. If you are not loading truck all day, then a radial lift machine will be fine, also a radial lift machine has less pivot points to grease and maintain.
Hey guys. Im really feeling the ADD on the lol. I am now looking at a 2011 Deere 323d with 473.1 hrs. It is a really nice machine, it has more power and is a little bit bigger then the 247. I like the 247 under carriage but have heard mixed reviews on the maintenance. Im torn between the 2. Any input is appreciated, John Gibson
I have a 257b2 similar to the 247 im very happy with it,would get another.
I wouldn't hesitate for one minute to buy that 247. That generation has metal face seals just like excavators and has proven to be very reliable. It is much more easy to service than that Deere- no problematic side panels, loader doesn't need to be up to check air filter, water separator, blow out coolers, etc. The Deere machines don't even have an emergency pull tab for the rear window if you ever had to scramble out the back. You would have to kick or pound out the window. The 247 also has much better reach at flatbed height.