Take it easy on a newbie please. I am attempting to change the hydraulic drive coupling and flange on my 252 Skid Loader. A little advice can help me in a big way. I assume the engine needs to be removed to do this. Should the hydraulic lines be disconnected, and the pump and engine removed as one unit; then separated outside of the machine and the parts replaced? Or can the engine be removed with leaving the hydraulic pump in place? Thanks in advance, Mike
I've never done one myself but looking at the manual it appears as though the way to go is: - 1. Tilt the cab. 2. Drain & remove the hydraulic tank. 3. Remove the implement pump. 4. Remove the hydrostatic pump. That will get you right into the coupling between the engine and the pump.
I was hoping to avoid removing all the hydraulic lines, and thought removing the engine was the way to go. Whilst everything is quite accessible, it is somewhat difficult to see how everything is attached. And what would be the easiest method of removal. Time to tilt the cab again and look a little closer at things.
On the NH's we would remove the engine, looking at our Cats I think remove the hydros would be easier.
Remove the cooling group, then drop the small bolts out of the flywheel housing back plates. No need to remove the pump, it's about a three-four hour job. To put it back, put a couple of studs in the flywheel housing to line up he backplate. The manual says drop the pump off the backplate, but that makes replacement hard. You don't need to take the hydraulic tank out.
When I did ours I unhooked all the lines and pulled the whole thing out in one unit with my service truck and let it hang on the crane while I removed pump and replaced the coupling. Took about 6 hours to fire machine back up.
How I do it is remove cooler pack, take all bolts out of engine bell housing support hystat pump with strap. Remove engine 2 coolant lines, a coupple of electrical lines, motor mounts. Out in 4hrs. Reinstall use two guide studs to align bell housing, using socket on the front crank pulley turn engine(easier to do with glow plugs removed) to align coupling while slowly pushing engine foreward when they line up reinstall bolts and good to go. Make sure update the flange and coupling newer style with a snap ring inside and LOCKTIGHT the setscrew bolt. Also make sure the ground strap is in good cont and hooked up see this too many times that the are broken or damaged. good luck
Done several of them, pull the motor replace the POS plastic coupler. 4-5hrs on a light day Pj