Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

NH LX 665 To Small?

fboy319 ยท 2009-11-30 08:01

Looking at a 1996 LX 665 non turbo, is this going to be too small to do general landscaping around new home? Buckets of dirt, gravel ect. thanks

Replies3
  1. #1stuvecorp2009-11-30 12:30

    I had a 665 and then a 170, overall they were great little machines. I would call them an overachieving machine. They seemed to lift more than they should and I liked how they graded. I have a bigger machine now but miss having one that size. They had great resale here so that helped.

  2. #2Jim Dandy2009-11-30 19:53

    I have a NH 160 and it has proven itself as a very versatile machine. I think it would be very good for what you are talking about. You can easily haul it behind a pu. Relatively easy on fuel. Get a 4n1 bucket. I added rear counterweights to try to make it more stable when loading a dump truck with a load high in the air. Did not help much but when I changed to solid tires that made it much more stable. Will be close to worthless when in mud or on even a slight, wet slope. If you are in hilly terrain I might would think about more power. Mine will stall out when climbing steep slopes even with no load in the bucket. Good luck and email back if you want more input.

  3. #3fboy3192009-11-30 20:38

    Turns out that it has a turbo, I haven't seen it yet, going tommorrow. It has under 900 hrs thats the main reason I'm interested but I'm starting think that maybe its going to be under powered. It seems strange that yours would want to stall out going up a hill. thanks for the input