Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 252B3 Fuel Drain plug

Boreal ยท 2022-12-19 20:03

The drawing in the service manual isn't the clearest. I'm guessing the image attached is what is left of the drain after getting beaten on the bottom of the machine. It looks like it may have been an 11/16 square drive which seems odd but there is no way anything is getting on it now to remove it. It's located at the left rear of the machine just like the manual states but there are other drain looking plugs under the machine. There are 4 of those other plugs, one at each corner, so guessing they aren't it. They are larger also with a recessed hex. Before I weld a nut to it to bust it loose, can anyone confirm this is the fuel drain? TIA

Replies5
  1. #192U 34062022-12-19 20:09

    One should be fuel, the other I believe is the chaincase drain.

  2. #2Boreal2022-12-20 07:43

    Thanks! So the fuel drain must look just like the chain case drain but is further back on the machine. Then the one I first posted isn't the fuel drain -- not sure what it is. Hydraulic drain is above the cover so it's not that... My guess is the fuel drain would be this one in the attached image. Which would be good because it looks to be intact. It'd be great to know for sure before I pull it. Hopefully something comes out before I fully remove it so I know what I'm draining before it's too late.

  3. #3Delmer2022-12-20 14:54

    Loosen it enough to let it drip, then you'll know what it is. That will either have a gasket or o ring, or be pipe threads, if nothing comes out when it turns easy by hand, then heat it up a little, it might be ice above it.

  4. #4Nige2022-12-20 15:36

    If you don't have an O&M Manual you really need one ASAP. From said manual ........... (BTW the note about pipe sealant indicates to me that the plug is a taper thread.) Drain the water and the sediment from the fuel tank when the tank is almost empty. Slowly remove the fuel tank cap in order to relieve the tank pressure. The fuel tank drain plug is located underneath the machine at the left rear corner. Loosen the plug. Allow the water and the sediment to drain into a suitable container. Install the fuel tank drain plug. Note: Apply 5P-3413 Pipe Sealant to the threads on the drain plug. Install the fuel tank cap.

  5. #5Boreal2022-12-20 21:39

    Thanks everybody! I got it drained. Turns out that first drain plug was just frozen dirt in the shape if something important. Don't tell anyone I thought it was a drain plug The real drain plug was mangled and shaved down to 1/2 it's thickness. Time for a new one I guess.