Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 256C?

North Texan ยท 2009-11-11 19:07

Anyone have one, and if so, how do you like it? What do you like/dislike about the machine? Also, what are you using it for?

Replies3
  1. #1KSSS2009-11-11 22:14

    I demoed one. The cab is nice, it was a cold Spring day when I ran it and so all it had to do was throw out heat which it did. The positioning in the cab was good, visibility was good everywhere except straight back. I used it to backfill a large commerical building. I was backfilling it with pitrun, which was wet and heavy. The machine could not lift its pathetic little bucket clear of a pile. The antistall/work valve got a good work out. I found the axle torque pathetic. The E/H seemed to have issues, not very predictable in its speed or responsiveness, which is to say it was not repeatable. I spent about 5 hours in it and I had to take off and run to another job. I had my employee was a great operator jump in and run it. I wanted him to run it out for the rest of the day as the machine was free to use. I came back to the job and he was in our old machine. I asked him why he wasn't running the CAT. His response was "I needed to get something done". I couldn't argue with that and the CAT went back. Your mileage may vary, but I didn't think much of the machine. I would like to run a 272C to compare. Maybe the 256C was a lemon, I don't know, I have not run another since.

  2. #2PDG X2009-11-12 08:12

    256c I have one, and contrary to the above post, it's a great machine. However you really need to have the AMICS control panel on the machine to get full use of the capability. The AMICS panel is on the top right of the cab, and it allows you to select loader response, drive response, creeper speed, etc. If you get a standard machine without AMICS, your dealer can set individual response settings for you, but they are permanant until they change them for you. The 2-speed and ride control along with the drive response keeps this machine moving right where you want it. The creeper speed allows you to set the max speed at full joystick throw, and change it on the go, for use with attachments like trenchers and rollers. Mine also has the added counterweights so full loads or heavy tools are no problem. A GREAT machine. Just get it equipped right.

  3. #3catguy2009-11-30 05:58

    there is a software upgrade done to all of the units with out amicks that took care of alot of the issues stated above.