Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 257B Interlock ECM

Jbowser · 2023-06-26 15:18

Hello Everyone, I’ve been lurking on this forum for a bit now, this seems to be a great resource for anything equipment related. I am helping a good friend with a restoration project of sorts, he came into possession of a 2007 CAT 257B2 that needs work. The Interlock ECM was said to be needing replacement as it would run for a period of seconds or minutes before it would lock out the brake. Through some tear down I uncovered the ECM compartment and did indeed find an interlock ECM (216-0658) in need of replacement, it appeared like it was at the bottom of an ocean for a time with heavy corrosion. I know the machine was used for snow duty extensively and much salt and water from boots had found it’s way all under the footplate. I have found a manual for a slightly different 257B, so I was able to get everything figured out to the point of removing the interlock ECM. I am still looking for electrical and maybe repair manuals for that particular machine (*CAT0257BPSLK08538*) if anyone has any access they are willing to share. We are looking at a replacement ECM currently, can anyone give any feedback on some of the Asian vendors that provide remanned units? I have pricing from the local CAT dealer on replacement there, just seeing if we have another option. At this time, the main ECM seems to be unharmed, but I will clean it up and redo the ground for it. At the same time I may make a mounting plate to mount the two ECM units along the vertical wall instead of on the floor as they are on that machine. I’ll update the thread as things progress. I have some extensive sandblasting to do and I’d like to go over the harness to ensure nothing is damaged. This poor thing needs some love, and I appreciate any help along the way

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2023-06-26 16:12

    I will send you an electrical schematic. Keep an eye on your messages. I’m not sure that any of the companies who sell Reman ECMs would accept that badly corroded one as a Core. Have you investigated companies in your area that claim to be able to repair ECMs.? You really need a Parts Manual. SEBP4635 is the appropriate one for your Serial Number. A quick search revealed nothing but you could download one from - Here

  2. #2Jbowser2023-06-26 18:20

    Thank you, Nige! I don't believe CAT will accept it based on information that I have been given, I am in Atlantic Canada and I have not encountered anyone repairing these locally just yet. For the cost of them I'd almost consider making my own with a LOGO plc . It's incredible how much they charge for these and how poorly it was mounted in the machine.

  3. #3Nige2023-06-26 18:31

    Cat’s answer would be that if the inside of the cab had been cleaned regularly and properly it wouldn’t have failed…… I chuckle when customers fail to do even the basics and then blame the manufacturer.

  4. #4Tyler d4c2023-06-26 18:56

    I have one of those ecms on the shelf if your still looking

  5. #5Jbowser2023-06-26 18:57

    I’ll message you, Tyler. Thank you.