Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 259 biii

therealjohnboy ยท 2010-07-31 09:12

Has anyone run the new 259 BIII its the CTL version of the 257??? with a heap of improvements including 75hp in the same size chassis up from 61hp better break out and ROC sounds like it has the goods on paper but still no C style cab

Replies24
  1. #1Stick Pro2010-07-31 18:27

    Do u have any pics of this beast wold love to see one.

  2. #2therealjohnboy2010-07-31 20:20

    I downloaded the spec sheet off of the cat web site looks the goods and suspended CTL under carriage aswell

  3. #3Stick Pro2010-07-31 21:33

    I was looking at the specs, i bet this beast will mow down the 257b2 and the t190 in one pass. I was operating the t190 today that machine is gutless and ratels your fillings out of your teeth.

  4. #4therealjohnboy2010-08-01 09:47

    Yeah my T190 was pretty violent to run used to have a migrane by the end of most 10hr days. If CAT has sorted the power issues with this model I'll be keen for sure. Power, compact, solid under carriage and suspension. sounds like the ultimate will wait till I get to run one before I lay down my hard earnt. But sounds promising.

  5. #5Digdeep2010-08-03 06:18

    It is supposed to be released in the US in October and the spec sheet weight is wrong. The actual weight is either 8,934lbs or 9,227lb 9depending on optional track widths) divided by 2.2lbs to the kilo means that it is 4052-4185 kg or 11-14% heavier than the current 257B2. This makes sense since you are replacing the undercarriage with much more steel and a bigger engine.

  6. #6therealjohnboy2010-08-04 09:13

    so long as it has better power/torque to weight ratio it should be better lets hope so for CAT's sake other wise its back to CASE 440 CT as my first choice

  7. #7Digdeep2010-08-04 09:35

    It looks like about a 9% better hp to weight ratio. There are a couple Case customers up here that have had their track frames bend in toward their chassis. I don't think it is widespread, but my buddy at the dealership said Case knows about it.

  8. #8KSSS2010-08-04 09:36

    I doubt that engine will make over 200 foot pounds. The engine in their largest skid steers and CTLs only make 217 foot pounds. Unless this machine starts a radical departure by CAT to actually put some torque building engines in their compact loaders, I would not expect any significant improvements in engine performance especially since this version will carry more weight as well.

  9. #9therealjohnboy2010-08-04 09:50

    I run a NH C175 at present and they share under carriage with the Case as they are in bed together some NH have had a similar issue. I work my machine hard and have had no issues yet at 1100hrs but have seen machines with 400hrs on them bent in till the tracks nearly touch the body man there must be some rough operators out there. I figure if its too rough for me its too rough for the machine so slow down. I guess some operators are just dip ****s??!!

  10. #10KSSS2010-08-04 09:55

    The two machines do share some commonality. The issue with the tracks bending on the NH is an issue with the mounting of the tracks on the NH chassis. I have never heard of this same issue with the CASE CT models.

  11. #11therealjohnboy2010-08-04 10:11

    thats good to hear what does a 440ct series 3 a/c high flow etc run over there?? I priced one up last week and they cost $98000AU here about $81000 US. I reckon I may look at importing one from the US with low hrs.

  12. #12Digdeep2010-08-04 11:04

    The salesman told me he was only aware of two units.

  13. #13Digdeep2010-08-04 11:13

    I think it is the same engine that the ASV PT70 uses and that engine is 71hp and puts out 173 ft lbs. Of course, it still weighs over a 1,000lbs less than the new 259B3. I don't understand why CAT does not just design a tracked machine from the ground up instead of continuing the trend of adapting skid steer chassis to fit an ASV undercarriage (too heavy), adapting a skid chassis to fit a CTL Undercarriage (engines too small) or the new trend adapt a skid chassis to fit CTL and then stuff a 3.3L engine into the engine bay of that chassis built for a 2.2L engine. This machine weighs more than Case's 440CT and has a much smaller engine. If they were trying to have it compete against the T190 they should have kept the weight down, or if they were trying to compete with large machines, they should have dropped a bigger engine in.

  14. #14yamaman2010-08-04 18:03

    So long as you realise Australias customs laws for earthmoving machinery (even worse for ag machines). After a quarrantine period, a customs mechanic (who may or may not know anything about what he's doing) will completely disassemble the machine down to the last nut & bolt, clean it, then reassemble, possibly even in the correct order & to spec. Though of course probably not! This is charged to you at their rate, I believe the princely sum of $60/hr was mentioned. This rate applies from start to finish of the job. You however, can not even see the machine at this point, so it's total blind faith in a govt employed mech that your machine will be any good. Ag machinery is similar, though then they split all the wiring harness to clean that also!

  15. #15KSSS2010-08-04 20:42

    You have got to be joking! ointhead

  16. #16therealjohnboy2010-08-05 08:54

    nah its not that bad have imported alot of equipment into oz from UK some was a pain some went straight through By low hours I am thinking up to 150-200 although I have seen a fewe with only 1-5hrs for around $45000 AU so allowing around $10K for shipping import duty etc I will be well in front. sure I'll miss out on the 3year 3000hr warantee but what couldnt I fix with the $34k I'd be saving???

  17. #17yamaman2010-08-05 09:36

    The country of origin plays a big part..... Not that I know 1st hand, I met a guy who imported 20 odd S130/S150's and that was his experience (well what he told me anyway). These were all under 500 hours. It took him over 6 months after they landed in Aus till he had them at hand, & cost him an extra $20k+ Be sure to let us kow how you go & good luck, cheers.

  18. #189420pullpan2010-08-07 17:38

    Spoke to a Cat guy yesterday and the new 259 will have a C series cab and they have a couple on order. Can't wait to see what they look like......

  19. #19therealjohnboy2010-08-07 20:13

    the pics on the spec sheet show the B series cab and I wondered if that meant it would have B series controls ie Hyd over Hyd instead of the new unresponsive elec over hyd controls with AMICS. still looks good on paper but only a test drive will tell

  20. #20berniecoogee2010-08-09 17:29

    Yamaman ,I think your friend doesn't want any competition .Have just imported 3 machines from USA .I didnt have a full container and it costs $85 /hr for cleaning .Allow about $2k for each machine to be cleaned .No import duty ,just GST +loading and holding fees ,so alow $8-10 k tops per machine landed and you will be on the money .you are right about whom cleans them .I had parts missing completely, plates fall off,air cleaners put back in the wrong way ,aircleaners not put back in at all ,floor mats missing .I could go on ... Warranty .Well in Aust ,it is like urinating in your boots .Gives you a warm feeling for a little while and then.... Australian warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on . Have yet to find someone who will accept that things aren't sometimes right when they are designed .Our market is too small for them to care .It is sad .

  21. #21yamaman2010-08-09 18:24

    Cool Bernie, thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, he wasn't a mate, I was looking to buy at the time & as I said, it's only what he told me. The S150 I was looking at had a bent axle, it was parked on a conc floor & one wheel was 1" off the ground! So he already knew I wouldn't be buying when he started with his story......

  22. #22peter@for-way2010-08-12 23:46

    Do you have any pics wanna to see it

  23. #23Catfan852011-12-10 11:48

    Demo'd one this spring loved it! Tons of power for that size of machine. Only a few downfalls one being that there isn't much room behind the track (at the rear) to clean out with a shovel but overall seems to be well built and able to withstand harsher conditions than the asv style tracks on the 257s. I have a pic but can't post yet

  24. #24stumpjumper832011-12-10 15:06

    there you go, believing a salesman again. I never trust the opinion of someone who is trying to make a profit off my decision...