Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 259b won’t start at key switch

MDM lawn · 2021-12-26 20:12

Hello I have a cat 259b that will not start off the key, I have checked all safety switch’s and they seem to be working fine, also checked all fuses in the cab and the big ones under the cab, wasn’t able to find the relay that goes to the starter? the machine will fire and operate if I jump the solenoid at the starter, any help would be appreciated

Replies11
  1. #1Mbar2021-12-26 20:17

    Have you checked power at the trigger wire on the starter while someone is in the cab trying to start machine. With et you can look at start requirements and see if there met

  2. #2MDM lawn2021-12-26 20:32

    Yes I have. No power at starter wire

  3. #3Mbar2021-12-27 08:11

    Post the serial number and nige should be along with a schematic. I’m not at my laptop or I would furnish one.

  4. #4MDM lawn2021-12-27 21:51

    Thank you for your help! Serial#CAT0259BPYYZ01358 Key switch is working we checked that with a ohm meter, found a 20 amp fuse that was blown under the cab second to last fuse (there’s 2 20amps in this spot) replaced the relay in the engine compartment, still nothing with key switch

  5. #5heymccall2021-12-28 00:21

    This one is "close enough" to get you thru the cranking circuit.

  6. #6MDM lawn2021-12-28 17:25

    Thanks a lot! You guys are awesome, I’ll post what I find

  7. #7DGODGR2021-12-28 19:15

    Isn't the Cat 259B a track mounted skid steer?...and not an excavator? It looks as though you're getting assistance with your issue (Yay!) but you might find even better results if you were to post this in the thread in which it belongs. I don't really have a dog in this fight but members that are more skid steer oriented, and probably more skid steer experience, will gravitate to those forums as excavator types will be here. Good luck!

  8. #8digger242j2021-12-29 06:44

    Thread moved, as suggested by multiple members.

  9. #9Andrew_Olivier2022-06-21 17:32

    I’m having the same issues with my skid steer. Can you send me the thread

  10. #10digger242j2022-06-21 19:10

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums. This (the series of posts above, your post, and this one), is the thread. It was in a different forum before I moved it to this one.

  11. #11MDM lawn2022-06-21 22:00

    Mine ended up being the power wire from the ignition to the relay in engine compartment, it was broke right after the harness up under right boom arm, if you cut the zip ties and twist the connection apart you can follow wiring better but it is a pain to get in there