Good day all. I bought a 2012 259B3 it doesn’t have a dash, battery, wiring harness. It’s all mechanical and pneumatic for starting. It had scrubbers for the exhaust, those have been removed. In some respects this great, as it won’t throw a code for a DEF sensor or anything else we deal with today, however there is not much info available for this build. There are also no buttons or dials on the joy sticks only handles for controlling what? Three of which I can’t get a handle on, yes intended. I’ve hopefully attached photos of the handles/valves. I’m also hopeful someone will have run this type of rare equipped 259B3 and will be willing to help me out. I’m looking to figure out what I should expect out of a few of these valves. Also any words of wisdom in attacking the issues. Which are: Lack of 2nd speed. I’ve learned in the mine they do not want speed. No hydraulic actuation of the attachment rams. How to control aux And I’m sure a few I haven’t seen yet. Thanks Andy
How about posting a Serial Number.? Then we may just be able to look at how it was originally built. A B-Series, even a B3, will be pilot hydraulic controls not electronic. It could have been built as a single speed machine. That would be logical. Again the Serial Number will tell the tale.
Thank you Nige for the response. Here is the S/N CAT0259BLYYZ02888
OK, so the S/N tells us that is was originally built as a 2-speed machine, which does surprise me somewhat. The bad part is that it appears everything in your photos that was done to the machine was not factory, so it must have been done by some 3rd party organization. I would say your only hope is to find out who that was and get some info from them. I would say your 2% estimate of machines congiured this way might easily be out by a factor of 10 or even more, probably less than 0.2% if one is being optimistic. Especially when you consider how many of these machines the OEMs turn out every year. This is one organization that popped up - https://rockzoneamericas.com/applications/mining-tunneling
Thanks Nige. It’s good to hear about the two speed. Someone had said they lock it out. Just more to chase down. The great part is when I’m done figuring it out, I’ll know it well.
I’ve now dug very deep, literally, into this machine. Removed about 23 gallons of what is called “coal mud, while de-mining it. A very good learning experience, both good and bad. What I mean by “de-mining it” is removing the items that are not needed on surface operation; exhaust scrubbers, external hydraulic cooling for the exhaust scrubbers, associated piping, radiator. I’ve pulled the motor, manly to clean and gain access to remove a few of the non-needed components. The issue coming up in the re-assembly is the cooling for the hydraulic sys. The hydraulic radiator sat on top of the large scrubber cooling radiator which is no longer needed. Both of these had a hydraulic run fan underneath them. It has a Deutz TD2011L04, Hp73, Code c3ui54pa, S/n 11717531 motor which has an integrated oil cooler and is air cooled. One question is, can I build a frame for the hydraulic radiator and allow it to be air cooled or does it need to be fan assisted. The latter needing a more complex frame. What is the best method to check hydraulic pressure. I’m assuming a pressure test at each component? If so, what pressure should it look like? Does each component have differing pressures? Quick release was trying to function, but not releasing. I didn’t get that far with it before the motor removal, but upon re-assembly it’s high on the long list. The two speed appears to be controlled by a pneumatic switch, but is yet to be tested. Other switching is controlled mechanically/hydraulically. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Does it still have a the original Cat 2-section (maybe even 3) hydrostatic/implement hydraulic pump.? Can you find any Part Number tags on the pumps.?
I ran into a 953 built for under ground. It was built by a third party it was all hydro mechanical and had a cummins powering it. I’ll work at trying to remember company name. The might have had there fingers in your machine
Does this help for the data info? I’m now going to eliminate the pneumatics and add a starter, alt, battery making it a little more user friendly and the ability to have a few more gauges on it. Thank you for your assistance.
Definitely. The 307-3068 is the correct hydrostatic pump for the machine S/N YYZ02888. Actually it is an updated replacement (manufactured Oct 2016), the original pump fitted ex-factory in 2012 would have been a 289-6351. The 238-7642 Part Number for the Work Tool pump is also correct for the machine. So basically all the standard Test & Adjust procedures, both for the drive train and the implements, should work unless the power characteristics of the currently-installed engine are way different to the original.
Thanks Nige. Being that I’ve eliminated the exhaust scrubbers and the associated radiator which was large and stacked below the hydraulic radiator with both receiving air flow from a hydraulic run fan below both of them, can the hydraulic radiator dissipate enough heat the straight convection or does it still require a fan.
I'm not familiar with your machine but when I lost the belt tensioner in my Bobcat, it only lasted ~10-15 mins before alarming for overtemp... and it was fall, so maybe 50* F. And I was just moving logs with a grapple Imagine if running a bush hog, snowblower, etc. I can't imagine any normal sized heat exchanger could pass enough heat without forced air. I've seen radiators plug with snow and the truck overheat at -20*
Thanks IceHole. That pretty much tells me the direction I need to go.
The implement hydraulic system definitely requires a fan to keep it cool. Make sure while you are disassembling that you don't discard any of the ducting/sealing material designed to force the airflow from the fan through the hydraulic oil cooler. That in itself could lead to overheating.