Hey Everyone, new member here, hope someone can help. As stated Cat 259B3 runs but no hydraulics, now I’m not a technician by any means, I’m a farm kid who’s fixed almost anything that’s been broken but I have a hard time diagnosing stuff like this.. now for a symptom picture.. machine was operating fine no problems, operator got out to open a gate(machine left running), got back in joysticks didn’t work, attachment lock didn’t work. Park break and signal light works fine, all gauges work. Checked fuse panel behind seat, no fuse blown all relays good (now the covers are missing and the Operator manual is unreadable so I don’t know which is which.. only thing I can think of is some of the connections behind the seat /under the cab are a little corroded and maybe that’s it.. looking for some assistance if anyone has some knowledge to spare I’d be grateful, and if that could be converted to layman’s terms that’d be even more appreciated .. Cheers Dalton
When you run the engine does the fan turn.?
Three things; Check hyd oil level Check to see if seat switch is working - dash light will tel you. Make sure the hydraulic disable switch is not activated. Guarantee that will fix it. Knowwhatimsayin? Introduce yourself before asking for help. Welcome to the HEF!
The fan over top of the engine on the underneath the rad is not turning. ( that’s the only fan I see)
The hydraulic tank is full… seat switch is operating fine according to the little light on the “dash” … and I’ve flicked the disable switch constantly though all my tests to no avail.. I apologize for not introducing myself before posting, I’m still getting the hang of this online forum stuff.. this is a bit of a last ditch effort for me as I have hay that needs to be brought outta the field whilst the weather is in our favour and am baffled by this .. how do I go about finding a spot to introduce myself here ? thank you so much, Dalton
HeavyEquipmentForums
Thanks for the reply. Alrighty then, we know the easy fixes are covered. I’d check fuses and battery connections, next. Wiggle harnesses around.
That's a fairly reliable indicator that the pump drive coupling has failed.
Good idea, Cmark. Just crossed the threshold from easy to not so easy. Holy cow. Got to get the hay in. Pidder padder, let’s get at er’. BTW. I need some Timothy for my rabbits. Paid $37 bucks for a single 55lb D/C half cut of Anderson Farms back in April. Holy moly. Everyone is OOS. What did you bale up? Wish I was closer and could help out. I’d fix up that Cat for you.
That's the one. That fan is hydraulically driven from the pump group on the back of the engine. No fan - pumps ain't turning - and as CMark pointed out above that's a pretty good indicator that the engine/pump coupling has failed. You said the machine is a 259B3. I assume that the macchine Serial Number is YYZ-something. Here's the location. #2 will be what has failed.
Yikes looks like I may have to make some calls to the neighbours.. doesn’t sound like baler twine fix to make do .. Well Nige Coaldust Cmark I couldn’t have done it without you!! I’m gonna go get this hay off( Because it’s a great day for hay ) then see how far into this cat I’ve gotta go! Really appreciate all the help guys!! Cheers