Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 259D Help new CAT owner

Tyoung81 · 2021-10-18 15:28

Hi, I'm new here. Just bought a 2014 259D FTL00412. I have a few questions about the machine. I'm new to CAT. Is there anyway to read codes without taking to the dealer? I have a flashing (no alarm) operator alert and a solid engine condition light. Side note: the engine condition light will go out when the bucket is raised all the way, and will come back as soon as I start to lower the bucket. I did a full service on the machine hoping that would help. Also I'm used to running Kubota's the CAT controls feel very sensitive (jerky) while driving. Has new tracks and the only real wear I see is on the right rear Idler (which I am about to replace). Thanks for the help!

Replies14
  1. #1Chrisso2021-10-18 16:06

    Down side is your machine left factory with the "Base" display not the "Advanced display"... Upside is these parameters are still adjustable (Implement Sensitivity and Drive Sensitivity) but only with ET (Electronic Technician, the Cat service tool) connected. From memory if there's an active code it should display itself on the small LCD screen, but could be wrong. Only way to be sure is to connect ET. First thing that comes to mind is an issue with the load frame position sensor (right side on the load frame towards the rear of machine). Or possibly the bucket inclinometer sensor on the bulkhead/hitch. Might pay to run your eyes over this wiring before you call somebody out with ET. Do you have a copy of the Operation & Maintenance Manual (SEBU9084)?

  2. #2Tyoung812021-10-18 16:13

    Thank you, I do not have a copy of the Operation & Maintenance Manual. I also forgot to mention the auto load level doesn't work. I will check the wiring this evening and let you know what I find.

  3. #3Chrisso2021-10-18 16:16

    Sounds like a good plan. The auto level needs both these sensors working. Don't think it's the cause of your engine light though.

  4. #4Nige2021-10-18 17:37

    Probably the best $70 you'll ever spend. (FYI this seller produces genuine Cat manuals). https://www.ebay.com/itm/304083566306 The Advanced Display can be retrofitted, there is a kit containing all the parts IIRC. However once it's all installed in the machine it has to be programmed by a dealer. Not sure of the price of the kit, maybe Chrisso knows.

  5. #5Tyoung812021-10-18 17:38

    Thank you.

  6. #6Nige2021-10-18 17:41

    Auto level sensor Diagnostic Codes are a common problem. I think the attached is the Troubleshooting procedure for it. I'll send you the Electrical Schematic. You are probably going to need it to identify connector locations & wire numbers.

  7. #7Tyoung812021-10-18 17:52

    Awesome! Thanks for the help.

  8. #8CM19952021-10-18 20:16

    Welcome to the Forums T81! You're in good hands with Nige.

  9. #9Tyoung812021-10-18 20:43

    Thanks!

  10. #10Chrisso2021-10-19 04:16

    568-2041 Kit... About AU$1700+ down here. Depends on how you look at it... if it saves you a few dealer call outs it's probably worth it. I'm almost sure I've seen active codes displayed on those base monitors, unless it was a dream I had.

  11. #11Nige2021-10-19 06:43

    Here's the Special Instruction to install the Advanced Display. I suppose if it means that to read diagnostics there is no reason to buy Cat ET software + Annual Subscription + Comms Adapter you could consider it cheap, but then "cheap" is relative.

  12. #12Tyoung812021-10-19 22:30

    So I finally had a chance to piddle with the 259. Found the rear load arm sensor broken. I’m headed to CAT tomorrow to grab one. Also saw the front idler is leaking oil. Does CAT sell a seal kit or is it better to replace it?

  13. #13Chrisso2021-10-20 07:46

    Ok good you found it, make sure you're sitting down when they tell you the price of that sensor. Before you plug it in verify your wiring just for the hell of it. Battery voltage on the C "signal" wire will fry the new sensor. Can't see any kits available but you can buy the seals separately. As for what's better, well seals are about half the price of the whole complete idler assembly, so depends on how much you're paying someone to do it I guess. And before you ask... 80W/90 gear oil, 350ml This is all presuming you're on rubber tracks.

  14. #14Tyoung812021-10-20 08:45

    I will definitely check the wiring first. Thanks for all your help!